Fixed Vs. Adjustable High Speed V4

yorab

Ensign
1963 75hp Starflite. My original carb had a stripped screw hole in the choke butterfly shaft and I had a few other things wrong, so I bought a used 2 bbl carb from an early model V4 to scavenge parts from. The newly purchased carb is identical to mine except that it has adjustable high speed whereas my original had fixed high speed. I'm wondering which is better. Can they be interchanged on the same motor? Advantages? Disadvantages? I see that OMC offered an "accessory adjustable high-speed needle valve kit", part #379189 for the '63 75hp. Was this considered an "upgrade" to the "base" fixed high speed? If the adjustable is a better system and will work on my motor, I may change it over. Thanks.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fixed Vs. Adjustable High Speed V4

1963 75hp Starflite. My original carb had a stripped screw hole in the choke butterfly shaft and I had a few other things wrong, so I bought a used 2 bbl carb from an early model V4 to scavenge parts from. The newly purchased carb is identical to mine except that it has adjustable high speed whereas my original had fixed high speed. I'm wondering which is better. Can they be interchanged on the same motor? Advantages? Disadvantages? I see that OMC offered an "accessory adjustable high-speed needle valve kit", part #379189 for the '63 75hp. Was this considered an "upgrade" to the "base" fixed high speed? If the adjustable is a better system and will work on my motor, I may change it over. Thanks.

Well some people just figure they should be able to fiddle with the needles and couldn't stand it when they were gone. So they were offered a kit to get them back.

If everything is right with the motor and the carburetor is clean, I defy you to set the adjustable needles more accurately than the fixed jets. The usual procedure was to open them 1/2 turn + two clicks and let it go at that. Let the gas flow.....

blk98gt

Seaman

I think this is covered in the repair manual. I don't have it in front of me right now. Do you have a manual?

yorab

Ensign

FR, I'm rebuilding the motor and carb, so I'm starting fresh. I have the option of going either way, I just wanted to get some opinions on which is better, the fixed or adjustable. Are you saying that you prefer the fixed?

I have the '64 Starflite repair manual and it makes no mention of the adjustable high speed.

a70eliminator

Captain

I have two identical carbs both off 60's V4' engines, identical on the outside but with different size jets and emulsion tubes, I would prefer the fixed jet provided it's the correct size for the HP.
Just for say, one carb came off a 60HP and the other off an 80HP identical except for the jetting.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

FR, I'm rebuilding the motor and carb, so I'm starting fresh. I have the option of going either way, I just wanted to get some opinions on which is better, the fixed or adjustable. Are you saying that you prefer the fixed?

I have the '64 Starflite repair manual and it makes no mention of the adjustable high speed.

As the guy in the repair shop where the rubber met the road, yes I totally prefer the fixed jets. I liked it even more when fixed idle jets came along. Yea!!

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Fixed jet's are great if we all lived at the same altitude, but we don't. An adjustable needle make's calibration much easier as we go up in altitude. My LaPorte City, Ia. engine does'nt want to run so great for my son in Denver, Co. You change the jet's, or adjust the needle. Go to a dealer, and buy the jet's you need over the counter. You will get a blank stare, and a suggestion to change the prop.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Fixed jet's are great if we all lived at the same altitude, but we don't. An adjustable needle make's calibration much easier as we go up in altitude. My LaPorte City, Ia. engine does'nt want to run so great for my son in Denver, Co. You change the jet's, or adjust the needle. Go to a dealer, and buy the jet's you need over the counter. You will get a blank stare, and a suggestion to change the prop.

Yeah, I forget that the highest spot in this state is about two feet above sea level. Well-----maybe a wee bit more. And not many of us snap our boat on the hitch and go to Colorado.

yorab

Ensign

Well, I'll mostly be using this motor in Pennsylvania, not too high in elevation. So based on responses, I'll stick to the fixed high-speed. Thanks.