1976 johnson 25 horse

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class
i picked up a 25 horse johnson for a steal compression was good, shifted good, and has good spark. fired it up, and i have a fuel leak between the float and upper body, pinching the 2 together got it running. gaskets are ordered. question is should i replace the fuel pump diaphram, is there even such a thing?, and what else should i look at besides the obvious changing oil in the lower end?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: 1976 johnson 25 horse

Most folks will recommend changing the water pump impeller on a new-to-you engine.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Fuel Pump Diaphram- yes there is a rebuild kit with the diaphram and a whole pile of kibbles inside. I wouldn't bother rebuilding or replacing the pump unless it needs it. The kits are a PITA to install but they are cheaper. A lot on here just say buy a complete pump. Sure if you live in the U.S. and pumps are cheap, here in Canada an OMC pump is $90, a kit is $25. I'm cheap so I do the kit, if a pump was $35 i'd save the headache and buy the pump.

It's your call, I'd be checking the fuel lines before anything and getting that gas leak stopped.

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

almost forgot the impeller, as for the diaphram, omc dude says bout a hundred bucks for a pump, good luck finding the diaphram. so ill talk to the salvage shop that has the carb kit for 20 bucks. fuel lines seem good, where would the fuel pump be located?

moonfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bet you can find that diaphram on the net. Or, here are a few threads about replacement fuel pumps that you'd be wise to find on here. I was looking at the same thing. About $89 for the pump but there are other pumps that'll fit on there(I think).

I'd replace all the fuel lines when you're in there if they are more than a year or two old. Maybe an inline filter too. Make sure the coils aren't cracked.

The fuel pump is the black box the fuel hoses go into on the side.

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

thats where i thought the pump was, bout the size of a 50 cent piece. as for a filter, i run an in line on the line coming off the tank before it hits the motor, easier to replace.

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

rebuilt the carb, found out there is a crack and a hole in the side of the fuel pump, new one is in tuesday at the high price of 40 bucks, so far its 150 for the motor, 20 for the carb kit, and 40 for the pump. i did have it running in the tank briefly though. not bad for a motor under 300 bucks.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I was always under the impression that those little plastic fuel pumps are non rebuildable and you have to buy a complete one. I imagine things could be different up north of the border.:cool:

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

well place ive been dealing with HAS a repair kit, but it doesnt come with the plastic body parts. but the kits are about 15-20 bucks

bktheking

Vice Admiral

OMC sells a complete kit to rebuild the pumps, it's the only one i've ever used and it comes with the platics from what my memory recounts, it was a good kit just a PITA to put together, you have to remember where the springs go and where the inlet and outlet are positioned as they can be re assembled in different directions.

Oh and KBAIT you look nuts with that fish :p

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

ive dealt with the omc guy in town, and he is too high priced. the other place ive been dealing with will actually call around and give you the lowest price.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Ya the omc stuff can be almost double over the aftermarket which is crap cause it's pretty much the same thing.

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

yea, my new parts gals beat west marine prices, and they get stuff from west marine.... go figure

bktheking

Vice Admiral

That's cause you don't buy 100K worth of parts from them each month, then you get the buddy pricing :D