Mercruiser 3.0, is this normal...?

itchynackers

Recruit
I'm new to boating this year. I have a 2004 sea ray 180 with the Mercruiser 3.0 135hp engine. I'm currently winterizing it (learning to) and noticed that when the drive is fully up, I can see a flexible rubber tube (exhaust bellows?) coming from the engine. It has a steel band clamp on it, but isn't clamped to anything. It looks like it is supposed to clamp to the drive unit, but doesn't appear to be long enough (when the drive is trimmed up). When the drive is fully down, the drive unit port slides nearly into the bellows. My questions are: 1) Should I try to connect it? 2) Is it a problem if I dont? 3) Will water wash in there and ruin my engine? If it helps, I can post a picture of it.

Thanks,

Adam

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercruiser 3.0, is this normal...?

I'm new to boating this year. I have a 2004 sea ray 180 with the Mercruiser 3.0 135hp engine. I'm currently winterizing it (learning to) and noticed that when the drive is fully up, I can see a flexible rubber tube (exhaust bellows?) coming from the engine. It has a steel band clamp on it, but isn't clamped to anything. It looks like it is supposed to clamp to the drive unit, but doesn't appear to be long enough (when the drive is trimmed up). When the drive is fully down, the drive unit port slides nearly into the bellows. My questions are: 1) Should I try to connect it? 2) Is it a problem if I dont? 3) Will water wash in there and ruin my engine? If it helps, I can post a picture of it.

Thanks,

Adam

Hi Adam,

There's 2 types of exhaust tube/bellows.

1. Exhaust tube. connected at one end (gimbal).
2. Exhaust bellows connected at both ends.

Both are ok although the tube might be a little noisier.

My previous engine/drive (460 King Cobra:eek:) ran about 15 years with NO exhaust bellows. didn't hurt a thing....

Having said that, if yours is indeed a "bellows" with clamps on BOTH ends, and it appears to have slipped off, it should be re-connected (at both ends)

If it is a slick "tube". with only one clamp, it's just fine as is.

Just to be sure......we're talking about the large (approx 2" dia) pleated tube........BELOW the LARGER (approx 3" dia) pleated tube .......(BELLOWS)

Regards,

Rick

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

A picture always helps, but I'll take a guess based on my limited experience with my 3.0L. I think that hose is the water cooling hose and, if disconnected, means your engine is not being cooled at all, which is super bad.

Before freaking out, though, I'd wait for someone else to corroberate my guess. Reattaching it may be possible without removing the drive, but I'm guessing the plastic elbow it connects to may be broken.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

The 10 steps of restoration denial:

1. That soft spot just needs a patch
2. The foam will dry out
3. It's just the deck, the stringers are fine
4. I don't have to pull the engine; I can work around it
5. The transom feels solid
6. I won't have to remove the cap, plenty of room
7. I will just buy a couple of gallons of resin
8. $1,000 is plenty for a job like this
9. I should be on the water by the end of the month
10. I need a beer! Nothing is going as planned!
toothlessgiggler.gif

This is called hitting the nail squarely on the head!!!!!

havasuboatman

Ensign

It's your exhaust bellows.
It wont hurt your engine not having it hooked up.
It seems too short because it accordians when properly attached.
If you are gong to attach it, replacing it with a new, (considerably softer) one may be the best thing. They get hard with age .

itchynackers

Recruit

I'll post a pic tonight. Thanks for all the info. It is the "pleated" rubber tube (kind of an oval shape) about 3" in diameter. It is the lower one of the bellows'. It is fairly flexible and I can almost stretch it to the metal (aluminum?) tube it connects to. It does indeed have a band clamp on the stern end of it. Now that you mention it, I did notice the engine temp seemed to run a bit hotter at one point during the summer. Not alarmingly hot, just hotter.

The thing that baffles me is that the metal end (on the drive) that the bellows connects to is really smooth (nothing to hang on to or grip the bellows). It seems like the bellows will just slip off, no matter how tight the clamp is.

Pic to follow tonight to verify your thoughts...

Thanks, Adam

itchynackers

Recruit

I'm at work, but here is a pic of the part in question. Mine even has the little metal tab you see on the left end of the picture.

mercexhaustbellows.jpg

havasuboatman

Ensign

Like I said, that is your exhaust bellows. When you attach it you use bellows adhesive, then you tighten the hose clamp. It wont fall off.
It's not your water line. That hose is only about 3/4 of an inch on the inside, it's smooth, and makes a couple very distinct turns.

itchynackers

Recruit

Ok thanks. Didn't know about the adhesive. I'll try to find it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hold on there with using any bellows adhesive. I have had a lot of problems with the Gen II exhaust bellows staying on. Even when going by the book. It just keeps sliding off within a few days.
What I have found that works perfect everytime, is to clean any old glue off the bellows, or even better, use a new OEM bellows.
Also make sure the bellhousing side is also absolutely glue free and clean. Then use some Mercury power tuner (any Mercury dealer sells it). Spray it on the bellows and the bellhousing. Using the special tool slide the bellows into place and let it set for about 5 minutes. then lift the bellhousing just enough to tighten the clamp.
Put everything back together and put the drive back on. It won't come off again.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Don what is power tuner? a glue or cleaner. I'am planning on pulling my GenII soon and details like these are pricrless.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Don what is power tuner? a glue or cleaner. I'am planning on pulling my GenII soon and details like these are pricrless.

It's a cleaner, in an aerosol spray can..Stuff foams and bubbles like that bathroom cleaner stuff..lol

I assume Don is stating to use that to get all the old goo n gunk that has been cooked on over the years OFF, so you have a nice clean surface to get the new bellows on to..

Of course he will correct me if I am wrong, which happens..lol

Don S

I assume Don is stating to use that to get all the old goo n gunk that has been cooked on over the years OFF, so you have a nice clean surface to get the new bellows on to..

Of course he will correct me if I am wrong, which happens..lol

Yeah, you guessed wrong. It's not for cleaning parts of glue and dirts, it's used (in this instance) to lubricate the rubber bellows so it slides on the bellhousing easier. The stuff is amazing. I use it for lots of things that need to slide for a few seconds. But, once it evaporates, it acts more like non skid or a glue. But it's not a glue. The SS ring on the ujoint bellows just slides in with the power tuner, you can't hammer it in without it.
It's original design was to loosen carbon on rings on 2 cycle marine motors.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

COOL!!

I dont mind being wrong as long as I learn something!

havasuboatman

Ensign

Don, you have problems with bellows adhesive and the hose clamps holding the exhaust bellows on an Alpha?
I have never had that problem. Do you think it could be an eviromental thing? I am in the desert, and 90 percent of the boats I work on NEVER see salt, or for that matter, never get used in water that is cooler than 65 degrees.
To be quite honest, when I replace them, I don't even put too much thought into it, you know? Stretch it, pull, tighten the clamp.
You use the little metal clip, right?
I'm not doubting you, I have read your posts, and it's obvious you are on top of your game. I'm just curious, have I just been really lucky? I mean, I have replaced a lot of those things and most of my customers are regulars.
I would be curious to hear if any one else has trouble with these, and where you are from. Might be something to bring up next time I'm in Hayward.

King P.V.

Seaman

The worst thing about bellows adhesive, (gee, funny name, huh?) is that it will set up quickly and if ya don't make the connection the first time, it's a mess. I use it but I also leave the drive down so as to not extend the bellows and help it pull/stretch itself off 'till I feel the adhesive is "set". Two or three hours seems to be the right amount of time untill I will leave the drive "up". Overnite is best. BTW, the little metal clip is a continuaty tab, makes contact with the pivot hsg or transom hsg and the stainless clamp. galvanic corrosion.

Don S

Don, you have problems with bellows adhesive and the hose clamps holding the exhaust bellows on an Alpha?

Only on the Gen II drives. No problems with the earlier Alpha, R, MR, and 1 drives, or the Bravo's.
I had one that I did in when I was in Alaska, put it on with glue "Per Spec", and even let it set over night before raising the drive. All was well, the customer had the boat in the water for 2 weeks, when he pulled it out, it was off again. This went on several times. Then we tried it with the power tuner. Never came off again.
Same here in WA. owner had a problem with one that always came off. He tried OEM and aftermarket bellows, including oem bellows adhesive and the sierra junk. Same problem. I put it on with the power tuner, and it's still on 3 years later.

havasuboatman

Ensign

Only on the Gen II drives. No problems with the earlier Alpha, R, MR, and 1 drives, or the Bravo's.
I had one that I did in when I was in Alaska, put it on with glue "Per Spec", and even let it set over night before raising the drive. All was well, the customer had the boat in the water for 2 weeks, when he pulled it out, it was off again. This went on several times. Then we tried it with the power tuner. Never came off again.
Same here in WA. owner had a problem with one that always came off. He tried OEM and aftermarket bellows, including oem bellows adhesive and the sierra junk. Same problem. I put it on with the power tuner, and it's still on 3 years later.

It's must be something to do with the cold. That's good to know, thanks Don.

Fun Times

Staff member

I have had them slip off A few times here in corona CA, Then we would do the power tuner trick and it was fine after that. But I can't remember if it was hot or cold, I think both:confused:

havasuboatman

Ensign

I have had them slip off A few times here in corona CA, Then we would do the power tuner trick and it was fine after that. But I can't remember if it was hot or cold, I think both:confused:

Great, now I'm gonna' wonder over every one I do. :)