Starting 225 Hp 2000 Dt Efi

GATOR IN NJ

Cadet
My Outboard Is Having Trouble Starting. It Will Cranck For Aproxx. 5 Minutes With Me Feathering The Throttle Than Start Sometimes. When It Is Running It Runs Smooth With No Breakups. I Then Can Shut It Off After It Is Warm And Have The Same Problem Starting.fuel In The Boat Is Fresh And Has Been Used All Summer With No Problems. Any Suggestions Would Help Me Troubleshoot. I Know Youre Not Suppose To Use Ether On Outboards But Ive Tried That And It Starts Quicker And Runs Fine Once Running But Still Takes A While To Start.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Starting 225 Hp 2000 Dt Efi

Several check valves throughout the fuel delivery system which could malfunction and cause "loss of fuel prime"...check fuel system, especially primer bulb. Next time it does this "don't start" trick, try pumping the primer bulb and see if that helps....if it does, then you'll know you're getting close to the problem. Good Luck!

GATOR IN NJ

Cadet

Ive Checked The Ball And Replaced It Hoping That Was The Problem Prior To My Initial Post Had No Luck With It And Was Hoping It Was Just The Diaphram In The Primer. Thanks For Your Input Looking To Get Somewhere With This.

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

does your primer bulb pump up hard and stay hard?

did you check to make sure all the fuel line connections are tight and not sucking in air?

good spark on all the cyls?

how about the fuel filter?.... old new?

do you run a water/fuel separator?......... if not i would install one.. it may not solve this prob but it will prevent future probs.

if you have to prime it put some pre-mix in an old windex bottle and use that.......... lubrication on a 2-stroke comes from the oil in the fuel:: no oil--no lube--eventually catastrophic failure.

it sounds to me like your choke/primer system needs checking into, thats where i would start........... sorry im not real familiar with your eng......... but they all need the same thing: fuel, air, compression, and spark. you take one away and you have problems.

also you need a good strong battery to really whirl your starter....... proper cranking rpms is essential.... at least it is in older engs.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

no choke/primer system dont sweat primer bulbs and such.
its a simple speed density open loop EFI setup.
make sure you have fuel pressure at cranking speed on the fuel rail.
make sure ALL battery and connectors are clean,tight and no corrosion.
the starter motor can actually work with a bad connection but wont leave enough current for the fuel pump,injectors and ECU to work correctly.
EFI starts at a turn of the key or its broke, your the one that has to use the service manual and the correct test equipment to find the missing link.

GATOR IN NJ

Cadet

Thanks For The Input Guys Because Im Pretty Much On My Own With This One. My Mechanic Cant Look At It Until Late December When He Is Done Winterizing Boats. By That Time Stripers Will Be Gone. Tomorrow Im Going To Change All 12 Plugs And Clean Battery Terms. I Do Have A Water Seperator Which I Drained And It Appeared To Be Clean. I Will Check The Fuel Filter On The Engine. Thanks Again On The Input And Hopefully I Can Be Back Into The Stripers By Next Week.

GATOR IN NJ

Cadet

Rodbolt Is It Common For An Efi Engines Primer Bulb Not To Get Rockhard Like It Did When I Had A Carbuerated Engine On It. I Had A 225 Oceanrunner That Blew The Powerhead And The Primer Would Get Like A Rock When Pumped. This Engine Doesnt Get The Primer As Hard.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

it will unless the VST needle is leaking or if that motor uses a diaphram type lift pump it can leak as well, neither will usually cause a no start but will make the engine run very rich and you will notice fuel on the water and small it.
check spark,test compresion ,test fuel rail pressures and TPS voltages.

GATOR IN NJ

Cadet

Rob Graham Are You From Ibsp? If You Are Let Me Know And I Will Get In Touch With You .btpd

GATOR IN NJ

Cadet

Thanks For The Input Guys. Found It To Be The Water Separator And New Plugs. Ive Put 10 On The Boat Last Sunday. Thanks Again