Took out the wrong screw

olduglypontoon

Recruit
To drain the lower unit on my 68 Evinrude 40 horse, I took out the phillips screw instead of the lower drain plug. Now it won't go back in. What do I do now?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Took out the wrong screw

With a scribe or awl try to align the part while jiggling the shifter. If you can't do that you will need to dismantle the foot.

Get a Manual. You have just made one of the easiest to fix errors that a Manual can prevent.

alangf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

To drain the lower unit on my 68 Evinrude 40 horse, I took out the phillips screw instead of the lower drain plug. Now it won't go back in. What do I do now?
I agree with jiggling the shifter and aligning with an awl. Make sure that when you get the phillips screw back in that the shifter will give you forward, neutral, and reverse. If it won't, you missed the hole. If you disassemble the foot when you reassemble you will still have to find the hole in the clutch dog fork. I would bet you will never make that mistake again. We learn best that which we learn hard.

Rick.

Captain

It is easier if you can put the motor on it's side on a bench. In the verticle the shift dog won't cooperate as well due to gravity. Definitely give it a try before pulling the leg apart. It is very possible to get it with an awl. Best of luck. Rick.

blk98gt

Seaman

Just for the record, the phillips screw is the no no then what kind of screw/ bolt is the drain plug?
Edit: Never mind. It's a straight screw. Search always works.

kbait

Commander

Drain the gearcase, motor on side, stiff wire, flashlight, prayer, beer. It can be done. I personally would try that, and if I couldn't get it, I'd remove the lower unit so I could shake it and get that shift fork pivot hole in line. I did the same thing. ONCE! Believe me, you'll never make that mistake again. Good luck

jay mendoza

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Alright you Canucks, if outboards had legs, they would walk, and be a land creature. :p

But they don't walk and thus have no leg/s. Lets get it right, it's called the lower unit, or gearcase;)

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

aligning the hole up without pulling the gearcase is easy. All you have to do is slowly adjust the shifter forwards or backwards till you see the holes line up:cool:

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

kbait said it best: "Drain the gearcase, motor on side, stiff wire, flashlight, prayer, beer."

It's very doable. We've all done it once! You should not need to take it apart. But lying it on it's side sure helps. Some say upside down. Take you time. It'll line up.