junk boat

not2high2fly

Cadet
Does anyone know where i can junk a boat on long island ny and price if they charge? I have a 20' 4winns that I don't want to repower. Thanks

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
Re: junk boat

Before paying to toss it I'd run an ad in Craigslist or similar and maybe some one will actually give you a little cash to drag it away.

not2high2fly

Cadet

Thank you, I was thinking of buying a diffrent boat and I need the trailer so I don't have much time

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

Call a landfill. Around here they take them. Not sure of the price.

werthert

Petty Officer 1st Class

What's the rush? Heck, even if you sell if for $100 and they haul it....

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Put the Old Hull on blocks and get your next one. If it is not gone by Spring (or whenever) launch your boat and tie it up, haul old one away and go back and get other boat. Have not lost anything this way, and if someone gets it, you are ahead a few bucks and free hauloff....

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

Run a "free for the taking" add in news paper. Somebody will come to get it. Maybe someone from this forum. LOL!!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

here the fuel tank has to be removed. and they charge by weight. out free boat ad on craigslist.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I know.......... buy your new boat, and launch both somehow. Tow the junker out to sea and let her go, without the drain plug that is.:D:D:D

And without fluids!

CVX20SPRINT

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a 14 foot glass boat that I wanted to junk but couldn't find anywhere to get rid of it.My nephew came along and said "put a free sign on it someone will take it".I'll bet 20 min. hadn't gone by and someone was here to take it.He gave me $20 for fuel to deliver it and I drank of couple of his beer while I was there.Best deal I had done in a long time.

Bifflefan

Commander

I know.......... buy your new boat, and launch both somehow. Tow the junker out to sea and let her go, without the drain plug that is.:D:D:D

And without fluids!

Yea because that would not cost a heavy fine if he got cought.

10thHawk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

check the boats section on craigslist. I saw an ad for junk boat removal. Think it was 200 bucks though.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Make a few phone calls to determine what you need to do. A couple of possibilities come to mind - the local office of whatever carting company has the contract to haul waste in your town or county and/or the government entity (town or county) that hires them. Either one should be able to direct you to an agency that can tell you what the deal is.

???

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I agree with the Craigslist/Classifieds crowd. If the boat just needs to be repowered, there is no reason someone else may not want it as a good winter project. Recycle the old girl! Your Money Pit could be someone else's Maiden of the Sea!

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a similar problem. I bought a bigger boat, but it didn't come with a trailer. I needed to find a trailer that would fit my 23' boat and my old boat's trailer was to small. I found a trailer with an old on it. I had to get rid of the old boat so I can get my new boat on the trailer. I was going to chain saw it up and trash it, but then I decided to pot it on craigslist to see if anyone wanted it. I didn't want to waste a fairly ok, but very tired boat (complete boat, motor, outdrive. The boat did not run.) Some one did call and I sold the old boat for the same price I bought the compleate rig for. I was glad I didn't have to trash it. I think fiberglass is considered a hasderous waste and it would of been a head ache.

I used to live on a 40 acre farm, eight miles out of town, in south central Michigan. I got a "burn permit" from the county for "agricultural and yard waste" (it was good for a year). I hauled the boat (a 16' glass Tidecraft) back to my "brush pile," chained it to a nearby tree, and simply drove the trailer out from under it. I then used my truck to drag the boat on top of the brush pile, and heaped a whole bunch more branches on top of it.
I waited until December, when we had about three inches of snow on the ground, and right before dusk, I touched 'er off. Holy cow, the last time I saw that much black smoke was when an asphalt truck burned! It wasn't long before neighbors for miles around started making reports of a house fire, and at least one documented call regarding a possible plane crash. I kept trying to throw more brush on it, to try to get it to burn faster before the fire department showed up, but it was so hot, I felt like a geologist trying to collect a fresh lava sample! Trees were blackened (nearby ones actually burning) and all the snow was melted for nearly a 200-foot diameter. Fortunately, it got dark quickly, and the pillar of dense, black smoke could no longer be seen.
Luckily, the township supervisor was my neighbor, and he came over on his 4-wheeler and quipped, "Geez, Paul, havin' a bonfire, and you didn't even invite us?!" (That saved me a ticket for burning "unapproved items.") So, moral of the story, whatever you do, DON'T try to get away with burning it! This really happened, and every time I run into my old neighbor, he doesn't hesitate to bring it up!:D

Master Chief P.J. Anderson, USN, Retired
Lansing, MI

Jeep Man

Commander

I ended up cutting mine up with a sawzall and a course blade, then loaded it into my utility trailer and off to the landfill. She was shot. A note though, wear coveralls and a mask. Fibreglas is nasty.