need survey help- upper chesapeake

phil11

Cadet
after a very educational search, we're getting ready to make an offer to a dealer on a 2004 Bayliner 210. We've had the boat out once and it was a great ride, but conditions were so calm that I'd like to test in rougher water. We're going back out on Sunday, hoping to get into the Bay and a better test. Everything looks well maintained, and the nice ride felt good, BUT...

All this reading tells me that both survey and mechanical should be contingencies to close the deal. Since I am not mechanically inclined myself, and as this is 1st boat, we don't need to buy any big problems. if anybody can recommend a reputable surveyor and/or inspector...or advise where I might go to find them, the help is much appreciated. the dealer on Back River in Baltimore. Thanks!

skargo

Banned
Re: need survey help- upper chesapeake

I 2nd what ezmobee recommended, be a nice place for a sea trial.

I know there are quite a few surveyors around Dundalk and Essex, which might help. What dealer if you don't mind me asking?

kregars

Cadet

You definitely want to get a survey. Most competent surveyors will do both the mechanicals as well as the hull. I chose someone who did both but their primary means of income for many years was as a wrencher who knew the ins and outs of the motor on my vessel, however, he was also extremely well versed in the rest of the boat as well.

As long as they are SAMS AMS you should be ok as they should be able to provide a full in/out survey including mechanicals.

phil11

Cadet

Skargo,

Working with Riverside Marine. Does that help? Do you know anybody that you can recommend? Thanks.

skargo

Banned

Skargo,

Working with Riverside Marine. Does that help? Do you know anybody that you can recommend? Thanks.

Nope, but I like Riverside and buy from their parts department. Sorry I'm no help on the survey thing.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

--- FIRST LAW of selecting a marine surveyor: NEVER, EVER hire one that has any connection with the selling broker or dealer. Is that clear enough?

I've used the following surveyor (from the Annapolis area). Lon's very thorough and professional.
Lon Acheson - Accredited Marine Surveyor 2007
SurvTech Inc.
P.O. Box 372
Davidsonville, Maryland 21035
301-318-1089 -Mobile
survtech@comcast.net
Specialty: Yachts, Small Craft

I HIGHLY recommend you invest your time to be with your selected surveyor during the survey- you'll learn an incredible amount of information- even if you don't ultimately buy the vessel.