Gel Coat repair issue

turpehar

Cadet
Hi guys

I'm working on a Chaparall Senesta 233. The owner slammed the front of the boat onto the trailer. Result, 6 inch gouge just flush with the fiberglass. No structural repair needed. The owner supplied the gel coat that he'd had a couple of years sealed and stored in the fridge.

My background. I've worked in the Custom auto industry before and paint cars and do repair on a regular basis. I've been around. This is my first try repairing with Gel Coat, so I don't claim to be an expert.

The issue come when I block sand and then pinholes start appearing. I am laying the gel on top of 100 grit sanded. Wipe with acetone and dry. Then I mix a small amount with hardner and mix really well with clean sticks. Temp at or above 70 Degrees. I wait two days then sand.

The color looks good but no matter how many time I work it over they come back.

Am I doing something wrong or is the material gone bad?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gel Coat repair issue

2 years is very old, but if it gets hard it may still work.

I assume this is a putty and not a liquid, or at least its thick enough now to be applied with a stick. Air pockets aren't uncommon if its too thick, it should spread easily and unless air is whipped into it when catalyzed there really shouldn't be very much air, if any. If you had some gel coat I'd to add a little to make a creamy smooth mix again, but since you don't, I'll suggest something I don't normally advise. Try adding a "very small" amount of acetone, this may make it creamy enough to use, but if you over do it the color may change, or it may not cure well.

turpehar

Cadet

Thanks for helping out.

The Gel I'm using is a liquid when mixed has the consistancy of latex paint. I dab it on then cover with wax paper and tape the edge to seal it up. When I go back to fix the pinholes I gouge out a bit larger than the pin hole and use 36 grit to rough it up a bit, and fill again, then let cure. I would think waiting overnight would be a long enough wait time,, but I'm even waiting longer.

Thanks again.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Try a small brush and skip the wax paper for now, do it in several steps to build it up, let each layer harden slightly if you can't build it up at one time.