Buying a boat in Ontario

ozenine

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good Day,
Just need some info on what one need to get to buy a boat (except cash :) ) in Ontario.
Also what one need to get from seller to register it?
And finally what do I need to register it?
Thanks,
Oleg
Do you know where I can find that info?

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: Buying a boat in Ontario

Oleg, you only need a bill of sale. If the boat has registration numbers, they can be transferred to you, or you can get new ones. Boat registation is federal. Check with the Transport Canada on Yonge St. Toronto

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You also need the registration for the trailer.

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer

All of the above, and for a watercraft with registration numbers the seller should give you the Transport Canada Pleasure Craft License.

This has the manufacturers hull serial number, color, and propulsion type, and the name of the seller. The bottom of the form has an application for transfer and must be signed by you and the seller.

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

And starting September 2009 everyone needs a Pleasurecraft Operator Card to operate the boat in Ontario.

gore

Seaman Apprentice

I just registered my boat today with out a ownership/title, I typed up my own receipt and had him sign and date it. Brought the receipt and an Application for Pleasure Craft Licence to Service Canada which was located at our Unemployment building. Showed I.D. with current address and signature and 10 minutes later I was a new proud owner of a boat.

You can get all this stuff from Service Canada located at the bottom of the page.

The document I typed up if your interested in it View attachment buy boat.doc

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

I was really suprised how easy it was to register the boat in Ontario. And free of charge (probably they will change it soon:D)

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

I was really suprised how easy it was to register the boat in Ontario. And free of charge (probably they will change it soon:D)

It's the same across Canada (as it is a federal issue).

Bought a boat in the US and brought it home. Paid tax at the border and the registration on the boat was simple.

Licensing the trailer was a complete friggin nightmare. But that is a provincial issue. Hint. If you can't find a vin on the trailer, register it as a home built.

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

It's the same across Canada (as it is a federal issue).

Bought a boat in the US and brought it home. Paid tax at the border and the registration on the boat was simple.

Licensing the trailer was a complete friggin nightmare. But that is a provincial issue. Hint. If you can't find a vin on the trailer, register it as a home built.

Find the trailer that more then 15 years old, and you won't need VIN, RIV does not apply in this case.
My first one that I brougt from US was newer than 15, and it was also a nightmare (a federal issue with RIV). The next boat that I brought from US had a trailer 16 years old, I had customs cleared in 15 minutes with that one.

ozenine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks a lot guys for the advices. I am really surprised on the simplicity of the process.

Moody Blue

Captain

You can take care of this at the Tannery Mall right in Newmarket. No need to travel to the city and no long lines to wait in. The office is on the east side of the building. I was in and out in under 10 minutes.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Find the trailer that more then 15 years old, and you won't need VIN, RIV does not apply in this case.

Was about 30 years old, but I guess BC has different rules than ON. ICBC insisted on inspection and a new VIN. Was a pain, three trips to the insurance agent (who was very cute so that lessened the pain) and a trip to crappy tire for the inspection and putting on a new vin plate (that they put on the winch post for some stupid reason).