trying again, any help!

ifvvet

Recruit
Hi guys and thanks for any help you can lend! ok here's the problem, 2001 mercury outboard saltwater 115hp 2-stroke won't idle, it runs fine at any rpm over 1000 rpm's, good spark, it's getting constant fuel, fuel lines are tight, anti siphone valve just replaced, just added a fuel/water seperator and filter is brand new (3hrs) of run time on it, no water in tank, primer bulb is ok too. I've been reading alot of post's on this before I decided to write and what I get is I should rebuild the carbs first, and then go from there, the carbs have never been rebuilt on them since I owned the boat (2004) and I'm sure the owner I bought the boat from never rebuild them too. and to be honest with you all I never winterized the boat last year and had fuel sitting in the cabs for at least at year. Also what is the right setting for the idle screw for the carbs? the screw I messed around with is located on long arm with 2 screws on it one says idle screw and the one below it is not labled? the other thing I haven't done yet is a compression test on her, what would be a good check? what PSI for each piston? well thanks for any info, hope this info helps. ran her this weekend and she drank about 10 gal of fuel (87 octane) with 16oz of seafoam still have 10 gals of fuel in the tank.

Paul

doehunter

Cadet
Re: trying again, any help!

Paul,
Your description sounds like the low speed jets are clogged up. I've had the same thing happen a few times before with carburerated motors. On mine, I just took the carbs off, disassemble and clean them and put them back on. Before taking the needles out. If you don't know the published setting. Screw them in and count the turns. Then just put them back the same.
Jim

arcrat

Cadet

Start with 1.5 turns out . then fine tune 1/8 turn ether way,
hope that helps.. arcrat

j_martin

Admiral

Start with a compression check. If compression isn't even then anything else you do will be a waste of time.

Next, in order of probability, weighted by cost
1. Adjust the idle jets from scratch.
2. Overhaul the carburetors. While they're off, check the bleed line routing, condition, and the bleed check valves. Pay close attention to all the fine holes and ports in the carbs.
3. Adjust again.
4. That failing, yer into looking at the reeds.

hope it helps
John