1985 johnson 90hp help

schang

Cadet
Hey everyone,

So, I have a 1985 johnson outboard 90hp (model number:J90TLCO). Have it 3weeks now and still can't get very far away from the boat ramps. Just recently torn it apart and changed one of the piston, as it was bad. I put everything back together, but have a problem.

On the powerhead, with the careburater off, there are four small fuel hoses that connects to a 5-way fitting. There is one hose from the 5-way fitting that is not connected and I can't seem to find where it goes. I know all the other fuel hoses are connected correctly except this mystery hose. When I try to crank the engine for testing it squirts out fuel. Any ideas on what kind of manual I should get to see good visuals and diagrams on the fuel hoses? I am looking to buy the manual made by the Ken Cook Co., but there are two manuals-the service and the owners manual. Which one should I purchase?

Thank You in advance,
S.Chang

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 johnson 90hp help

You can look at the original parts lists for this engine on the web: epc.brp.com. The intake manifold picture/diagram shows the 5-tee fuel block on the parts diagram, but not the routing of the hoses. It may be part of the recirculation system on that engine. A factory manual will probably show the diagram and required connections. The Ken Cook books are the ones originally produced for these engines, authorized by OMC. I'd contact them and get the Service Manual version.