63 Johnson Sea Horse - need help ID~ing wiring ~ see pics

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant
Hi
wondering if any of you outboard pros know what each of these wires is supposed to go to....I am not sure and dont want to fry something and want to test this old outboard motor I aquired

It is a 1963 Super Sea Horse Johnson 75hp it has a magneto / starter and such...kinda confusing but here goes......need help deciphering!

from the looks on the manual (no color reference anywhere go figure....)
it looks like it should be =
(2)10 gage (2) 18 gage (1) 16 gage and (1) 20 gage
at-least with the 1961 manual Illustration I'm using as reference

big red = positive battery
big black = negative battery

Dark Gray or other black far left in pic = 16 gage?
Brown 20 gage? Idiot Light overheat?
Yellow 10 gage? ameter gauge?
Black 18 gage?
Tan 10 gage? Starter switch positive?
Greenish 18 gage?

im confused HELP
if anyone knows by COLOR that would be helpful

engine.jpg

wires2.jpg

wiring.jpg

wires.jpg

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant
Re: 63 Johnson Sea Horse - need help ID~ing wiring ~ see pics

PS I want to test it on the stand.......which wire would I need to hook up to make it run and to shut it down

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Don't know the answer to your wire mystery, but you can test it on a stand with the LU in a barrel of water by doing this: use a good set of heavy duty jumper cables, clamp one pos (red) to starter post on starter, clamp the other pos to pos post on battery, clamp one neg to battery neg...make sure the motor is set to Start, choke is on, and primer bulb is pumped and firm...ground other end of neg to the motor powerhead to bump the starter over. This keeps the spark away from the battery. If you have decent spark, clean carb and fuel system, and the starter or battery aren't weak, it should crank over and hopefully start. Hope you have checked for compression, spark, etc.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Don't know the answer to your wire mystery, but you can test it on a stand with the LU in a barrel of water by doing this: use a good set of heavy duty jumper cables, clamp one pos (red) to starter post on starter, clamp the other pos to pos post on battery, clamp one neg to battery neg...make sure the motor is set to Start, choke is on, and primer bulb is pumped and firm...ground other end of neg to the motor powerhead to bump the starter over. This keeps the spark away from the battery. If you have decent spark, clean carb and fuel system, and the starter or battery aren't weak, it should crank over and hopefully start. Hope you have checked for compression, spark, etc.

In other words, it doesn't need anything connected to run if you hand crank it. But jumping the starter as just described sure makes it easier.

See this for a little coloring information:
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/frankr_photos/Wiring1963Speedifour75WithGenerator.jpg

Thanks TMcalvy for the info and F_R for the link!

Ill check out the color link...no compression test yet, wanted to figure out cranking 1rst...and starting procedure etc...never owned an outboard!

I need to check compression and spark plugs 1rst, replace a fe whoses as they are dry rotted, mist the cylinders with marvel oil, do compression test and go fro there...if she runs I guess I can check the reeds by placing a biz card 2" in frt of the carbs, if they get wet with gas fast...bad reed!
Ill post my findings as soon as I get a chance to do that (maybye tonight)