Fuel Tank Size

mark mcj

Seaman Apprentice
I might have this question in the wrong forum, maybe not..... I guess I did, thanks for the move.;)

Specifics:
Boat; 18.8' Renken
Engine; MC 120
O/D; #1 with 1:1.98
Prop; 19p
Planned cruising RPM; 3000 to 3500
Speed really is not important, basically I want a steady, get there and get back platform.
Primary body of water: Lake Erie

I'm currently planning to completely reconfigure my Renken 18.8' boat.
I want to install a below deck fuel tank, and I want to carry enough fuel to run for a few hours at a time and not worry about running out.
The current tank is 15 gallons, I'm thinking of at least a new 26 to 32 gallon tank.
If I run the MC120 at 3000 to 3500 rpm I think the upgraded tank size should do find.
I know the added fuel will add weight, I plan to install this larger tank under the deck right on the center line and right on the balance point from bow to stren.

Am I on course or headed for the bottom thinking like this.

Last edited:

havasuboatman

Ensign
Re: Fuel Tank Size

I sure wouldn't go over 25 gals. That is a lot of weight. I carry 25 in my 19 ft. V-hull, I have a V-8 and I can run all day and barely dent my fuel. The tricky part is getting it centered correctly fore and aft. Too far forward and you will plow like a barge. Too far aft, and you will sit in the water like a fishing bobber.
Adding that much fuel is going to effect how the motor runs, how the boat planes, and reduce your gear weight capacity by nearly 100 lbs.

mark mcj

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Havasuboatman, if you can run a v-8 and just dent the 25 gallon tank maybe I can stay with the 15 pal. capacity I have, just relocate it under the deck.
I'm new to the bigger boat scene and I'm just thinking of the comments I read where fuel usage is measured in gallons per hour. Those comments may have come from guys running 30 footers with twin 496's. :D

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

When I first got my boat the paranoia of running out of fuel was hard to overcome, for the first little while I carried an extra 5 gallons in the boat (just in case) for my peace of mind.

Get a 5 gallon jerry can and strap her down somewhere until you get used to the fuel usage of your boat, today I just set my GPS to alarm when I have travelled 120kms which gives me plenty of warning with a 15 gallon tank on a 90Hp Merc 2 stroke in a 16 ft boat. With that much capacity in a small boat I tend to forget it needs fuel for a few days while I am out camping/fishing.

It will take you a year to get used to it, then it becomes second nature.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

My 18' SeaRay with a 4.3LX MerCruiser had a 35 gal built in tank. I would use about 12-15 gal on the typical outing. Your boat is similar. I would try for a 30Gal tank, if you can.

Floatsum

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My Parker 18 has a 40 gal. tank.
I'll make 3 trips to the ocean before thinking fuel stop.
Big difference in ride between full and 1/4.
I could live easily with a 20 gal. using the 130 hp 2 stroke.