How to fit a new boat to an old trailer?

deep6

Cadet
I have a 25' Sundancer I bought w/o trailer. I am currently looking for a roller trailer. Once I find one is there a certain way to adjust the trailer for the boat? Some suggested putting it in a sling, lowering it and then adjusting the roller carriages....any help would be appreciated!<br /><br />Deep6

reelscreamer

Recruit
Re: How to fit a new boat to an old trailer?

That sounds like a good idea with lifting it down on the trailer to find out where you need to adjust things. Doing it on a boat ramp would risk gelcoat/fiberglass damage to the boat if the trailer's original adjustment was too off. Make sure that you balance the boat well forward and aft on the trailer to make sure that the tongue weight is right. Cheers

werdna

Seaman
Re: How to fit a new boat to an old trailer?

if its too hard to lift the boat in a sling (most trailer shops could help you out there if you need help) you can lower the bunks below the level you would need them to be (the boat can then rock from side to side), put your boat onto the trailer at a ramp and then jack the bunks back up after you pull clear of the ramp. to make it easier to get the boat on and off, you dont need to jamb the bunks up under the boat - the boat should be able to rock slightly from side to side on the trailer.<br />Andrew