• On deck

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • On bulkhead

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bananaboater

Ensign
Taking a poll of my fellow SC restorers.

I bought 4 used great condition cleats that closely match the one on the fore deck of my Jet. I do not want to drill into my boat anymore than necessary and especially on the deck. My goal is to have the boat look as close as possible from the factory and that means no cleats on the deck. I have seen many older boats with holes in the aluminum deck that are difficult to fill and look good afterwards but in this case it might be justifiable.

With that in mind I am wondering if I can mount my cleats on the inside bulkhead and have them function as well as they would on the deck. Primarily use will be for bumpers. Here a couple pics of my idea.

http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab164/bananabert/Boat/IMG_0907.jpg

http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab164/bananabert/Boat/IMG_0906.jpg

Looking forward to your responses. Albert

motorpsykler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Where to mount cleats?

I get your point and for bumpers it probably would work fine either way. I voted on top because it just looked right to my eye.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Inside?? only until you run your leg into one. takes away inside useable space. Topside best IMHO.

mattrogers5

Seaman

Yep , agree with the others ...inside would definately be a hazzard for snagging and grabbing you and equiptment. I have cleats mounted almost in the same place on the top of my gunnels..next to the windshield frame so it's somewhat protected from accidental snaggs
DSC02456.jpg
[/IMG] you can just make it out in the attached pic beside the controller on the top outside of the gunnel.

bananaboater

Ensign

The poll is CLOSED even though the forum date is much later. Thanks to all.

They will be mounted in the traditional place.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

A little late, but I'll add my vote for the deck. Seems more practical & safe.