normal water pressure

I have a 03 150 mercury xr6 what should the water pressure guage read at idle? mine isnt reading anything but water is coming out of pee hole the pressure rises fine when I open up the throttle. Seemed like today on the lake there was alot more smoke around the engine than im use to it seemed to run fine and there where no alarms. Just wondering what normal should be on the pressure guage. Thanks in advance.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: normal water pressure

I have a 03 150 mercury xr6 what should the water pressure guage read at idle? mine isnt reading anything but water is coming out of pee hole the pressure rises fine when I open up the throttle. Seemed like today on the lake there was alot more smoke around the engine than im use to it seemed to run fine and there where no alarms. Just wondering what normal should be on the pressure guage. Thanks in advance.

There should be a little. It would seem to me that there is some pressure if it will stream from the telltale. The gauges are pretty crude, just simple bourdon tube setup. If it's pinned against the zero peg, it might take a couple of pounds to register anything.

If the pressure is actually that low, look to water pump beginning failure, or poppet valve.

hope it helps
John

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Below are the water pressure specs from my Mercury shop manual for my 1996 150hp. This might give you an idea of what to expect on your motor. As previsousy mentioned, the pressure gauge may not be that precise, but will give you a pretty good indication if the water pump is failing. The next time you change the impeller, check the PSI readings afterwards and use that as a benchmark for monitoring for reduced performance in the future.

Attachments

• Water Pressure Specs.jpg
    Water Pressure Specs.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 6

pinellas50

Petty Officer 1st Class

Where did you tap in to take your water pressure readings?