Anchors away!

rspar

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I learned a valuable lesson this weekend. If you've never used an anchor that has a rope attached to it not only should you make sure the anchor is attached to the rope but you should make sure the rope is in one piece. I handed my son the anchor and told him to throw it over I heard the zzzzzzz as it was going down and suddenly nothing he looked at me with eyes like silver dollars. We got quite the laugh on the way back to the marina.

Bass Tracker TX17

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Anchors away!

Whats even more "FUNNY" is watching the anchor line grab a few rods and yank them over board.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

My soon to be son in law did that as well. I thought he was going to jump over to try and get it to begin with. The look of relief on his face when I smiled and said "Lets get the spare anchor out of that locker" was priceless.

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

My first ever attempt at throwing an anchor on my parent's boat, I met a similar fate. Standing in the bow, threw the anchor, watched the rope going and going and going, and watched the end of the rope go right over the bow. Luckily, the water was only about 30 feet deep, and diving off the bow gave me good momentum to go down and grab the rope. I guess I was tired or something that day, regardless I wasn't paying attention. Thank God it was nothing too serious.:redface:

RICHARD5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hahaha...

I used to make money going after lost anchor. Between my father, my brother, and I, we have about 20 anchors we've collected off the bottom at favorite fishing spots. I saw a #60 Danforth on Craigslist recently. The guy was asking $600, normally priced at $1,200. We must be sitting on a small fortune!

And why oh why do folks throw their anchor? Too much can happen too quickly...better to pay out the line in a controlled manner. Unless you really want to anchor not here but there (the distance you can throw)

Probably the funniest thing I've ever seen on the water was when we were trolling past a kelp paddy and this boat stopped on the paddy. Couldn't believe our eyes. No, he's not gonna'...yes he is...he threw his anchor in and there she went....not that he would have actually anchored anyway. We were in about 200 fathoms....

Anyway, this thread is good for a laugh.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Probably the funniest thing I've ever seen on the water was when we were trolling past a kelp paddy and this boat stopped on the paddy. Couldn't believe our eyes. No, he's not gonna'...yes he is...he threw his anchor in and there she went....not that he would have actually anchored anyway. We were in about 200 fathoms....

Anyway, this thread is good for a laugh.

Maybe he was harvesting the kelp.

rspar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

In the past when dropping an anchor with other peeps boats I always kept one hand back with the rope so if anything happened I had time to react. But he's 13 and I was not paying attention.