2000 yahama 175 (hpdi) top left cylinder missing

jasonbritt

Recruit
Just bought a gw with the 2000 yahama 175. Took it to the mechanic and he didnt have the capability to electronically test the engine. The engine has been setting up for 15 months. It started and you could tell it was missing. I found the top left cylinder was not getting any fire to the plug. I changed the plug and no change. I changed the electonic coil assemply with the other top right cylinder and no difference. I dont know what else to do but to carry it to the dealer whos business is 90 minutes away. I did try the boat before I bought it thinking the plugs were foul. It seem to run great the only thing is the engine is so strong I couldnt tell if it was missing on the lake. Brought it back home and hooked the water to it and you could hear it still missing. I really like the engine and only see good things posted about them. Any ideas on what I might try next? Thanks

blackbox

Seaman
Re: 2000 yahama 175 (hpdi) top left cylinder missing

the h.p.d.i motors run on 4 cylinders when in nutral. did you try putting the motor in fwd.?(may want to remove prop. if working on the motor in fwd.) the engine tone will change and pic-up #2 and#3.

jasonbritt

Recruit
Re: 2000 yahama 175 (hpdi) top left cylinder missing

the h.p.d.i motors run on 4 cylinders when in nutral. did you try putting the motor in fwd.?(may want to remove prop. if working on the motor in fwd.) the engine tone will change and pic-up #2 and#3.

Thanks for taking the time to send the note. You were right the cylinder picks right up when you take it out of neutral. Thanks