Grease Splatter

mountainboy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I noticed grease splatters on the back of one of my trailer wheels. I changed the seal and bearings about 2 months ago and was wondering if the grease splatter means a busted seal. I also use bearing buddies and have always watched how much grease I pump into them. If it is a busted seal, how does this usually happen? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

D

DJ

Re: Grease Splatter

mb,<br /><br />That's what it is.<br /><br />Grease the BB's VERY gently. Everyone tends to overgrease them.

mountainboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can the trailer still be transported with a busted seal without hurting anything? Thanks!!

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

As long as there's grease in them 'thar hubs, it's OK to tow. The seals are primarily there to prevent stuff (water, dirt) from getting in, and to keep the grease from getting out.<br /><br />Having said that, depending on the distance, and type of towing, you may want to consider performing the maintenance before you tow. Since you've done it before, you know what is involved (in time, effort, and $$). Much easier to replace the seal in a controlled environment, than to do so on the side of the road!

mountainboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Last evening I took off the hub to inspect the seal and everything looked fine. The bearings and everything were clean--no dirt,no water and the grease looked good. What should a busted seal look like? Could it be that I had a lot of excess grease the found its way out of the seal and splattered on the back of my wheel? Thanks

NOSLEEP

Commander

It usually is an indication that your axle seal<br />is leaking, which can be caused by over greasing.<br />It would be difficult to see a defect in the seal<br />if it has failed. Just replace the seal and you<br />will likely have fixed the problem.

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

Could it be that I had a lot of excess grease the found its way out of the seal and splattered on the back of my wheel?
Not necessarily excess grease, but my money would be on an overloaded Bearing Buddy.<br /><br />When your windshield wipers go bad, you probably don't see a defect in the rubber. Same with your seal. You've got everything apart, and it's all clean, just pry-out the old one, and seat a new one. Few dollars later and a good chance you've solved your problem.

jlshields

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just be sure to use a double lip seal.<br /> John