bad fuel pump

fenceguy2

Cadet
I have a 1994 johnson 150. Have disconnected the vro pump and using 50:1 premised gas. had the boat out this weekend and was running well but then the rpms dropped off and stalled. wouldn't start. pumped the bulb and the engine turned over fine. ran for a few minutes at idle and staled out again.
pumped the bulb fired it up and continued to pump the bulb and was able to make it back to the ramp.

bulb was old and kinda nasty so changed them out and the fuel lines, fuel filters etc. and fired it up. started right away, idled for a while and then stalled. same symptoms. if you give the bulb a squeeze engine continues to run.

I am thinking that its the fuel pump. I know the fuel pump has the built in vro pump but have that disconnected. and i prefer to mix my gas.

can I rebuild just the the fuel pump side of this pump or do I need to buy a new pump? can I buy a different pump that doesn't have the vro?

Many thanks.

graham

fenceguy2

Cadet
Re: bad fuel pump

after doing some research am thinking it might be easier to just buy a non vro pump.

have been reading old threads and am thinking about using the sierra pump 18-7353 as my old vro has three hose connectins.

do yall think this pump will work with my johnson 150?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: bad fuel pump

after doing some research am thinking it might be easier to just buy a non vro pump.

have been reading old threads and am thinking about using the sierra pump 18-7353 as my old vro has three hose connectins.

do yall think this pump will work with my johnson 150?

I would suggest the 2 pump system for a none VRO 6 cylinder.
Use the previous link and plug in a 1982 150HP you will see the 2 pump set up there.