Wake Board Tower Self Install?

redbxstr

Recruit
Hello everyone,

I just purchased a Glastron GT-225 with a Volvo Penta 5.0GL, XL Package, and I want to add a wake tower. I looked at the Big Air Pylon brand, the H20 model (under$1,000) in particular.
The marina wants $400 to install it but I question their finish work, not very neat, and I would rather save the money for other goodies.

How difficult is it to install it myself with a friend? I am handy with tools.

Also what do you think of this tower compared to the Roswell Tower Area 52 tower, which is what the manufacturer uses if it was installed at the factory but they would have wanted $2700 installed. Ouch !

Thanks for your help and opinions.

Last edited:

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Wake Board Tower Self Install?

I actually had a long conversation with the guy I recently bought my new boat from. He really likes Monster Towers, and recommended if I wanted one that I order the middle of the line one ($1000) and have it mailed directly to them for installation.

He said they do about one a month in their shop. He said the first few were sketchy, but they've gotten a lot better. He said the hardest part is that all of the pieces are for universal fit, so getting the thing all mocked up where you want it, and straight, is the real hard part. He said not impossible, but you really need a couple of guys and a lot of patience, or else something is going to slip and scratch the crap out of your boat.

So, for me, it all comes down to ambition. Sure, you definitely COULD do it, but if something goes wrong, it's on your head.

But then again, I'm saying all this, trusting the guy who told me. You mentioned you weren't all that keen on the marina's prowess. In that case, I might be apt to try it myself...just make sure you gather those friends and that patience. ;-)

tfret

Petty Officer 1st Class

I added a Liquid Concepts tower to my boat a couple years ago. Just following the instructions to the letter, and take your time. If you don't have the tools and materials they call for then buy them. I'm very pleased with mine. I'm a perfectionist, so it took me most all day. Definately have at least one other set of hands available to assist in lifting. Make your re-enforcment back plates ahead of time and epoxy coat them. Measure everything twice. Just don't get in a rush and you'll be fine. Use the money you save to buy a couple of racks to put on it.

sebber83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

iv'e installed several Monster Towers, they do take time but I am always happy with the results, look and performance, plus the price if very right. Check them out at www.monstertower.com

Dave.Mishchenko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just did a MonsterTower MT1 a month ago and it was a fairly straight forward process. In total it was about 9 hours for myself and my seven year old son to put it together.

As mentioned, you just need to take your time and make sure it all fits before you start to drill. And make sure the mounting points are sufficiently strong to handle the load that the tower will put on your boat.