9622a evinrude wont run with cover on

kmaysob

Seaman Apprentice
hello all, first time poster here. today i aquired a boat that came with a an evinrude 9622a motor. ser#e05257 it was pretty well taken care of and with a little cleaning up and a new set of plugs i got it to fire up and idle pretty decent. checked the water pump and it works great. so heres my problem it runs great until i put the cover on. seconds after i put it on it starts to die. i cant see anywhere for it to suck air in. am i missing something?:confused: also it smokes like crazy. i put a 50:1 mix in. my first thought is maybe its set too rich?

ive worked on alot of small engines but never an outboard. any guidance is greatly appreciated.

i did try to search the problem with the cover and came up with nothing.

thanks in advance.

also, i wasnt able to find a gap spec. so i installed the plugs outta the box

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 9622a evinrude wont run with cover on

Gap the plugs at .030".

You most likely have an exhaust leak. Fairly common problem with the 9.5s.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Agree with that. It's most likely recirculating the exhaust gas through the intake and it cannot breathe properly.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Agree with that. It's most likely recirculating the exhaust gas through the intake and it cannot breathe properly.

If you are trying to run it in a barrel, forget it. They simply will not run in a barrel with the hood on because it breathes it's own exhaust.

However, if you are running it on a boat, that is a different story, and a quite common one. There are several notorious exhaust leak paths that will cause it. The rubber flap seal between the exhaust housing and outer covers is always the first thing to be suggested but usually is NOT the cause.

Rick.

Captain

I agree with above but would suggest there is probably no exhaust leak. The problem with 9.5's is they sit low when running in a barrel. One fix is to have a fan blowing at the engine while running. Once you get it on the transom in the water you sill likely find all is well as there is better ventilation and no concentration of exhaust gas. I agree it appears the cowling hasn't enough holes for combustion air but I assure you there is enough. Try it on the lake and see how she runs there. Very important to have the points clean and set at .020. Best of luck. Rick.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

My 65 will run in a barrel with the cover on, albeit it the rrpm drops when I do put it on. Why do these motors smoke like crazy, my 9.9 doesn't smoke 1/4 as much as this thing, it's always been a question of mine as well.

Not to highjack but same question, smoke screen!

kmaysob

Seaman Apprentice

ah i had thought maybe it was just getting smoked out ill have to try the aiming a fan at it or maybe even cut my barrel down to just the right size. i have it mounted on the transom and i just stuck the barrel under it. the barrel is a little tall. thanks for the replies. i will have to gap my plugs and check the point gap. although, usually when the point gap is off isnt it hard to start?

kmaysob

Seaman Apprentice

gonna check the point gap tomorrow and set the plug gap. anyone know what year this motor is?

also, what is the torque spec. for the flywheel when installing it?

thanks for all the input

bktheking

Vice Admiral

1968 and up, OMC dealers still have everything you need to look up from 67 down.

kmaysob

Seaman Apprentice

any one know the flywheel torque spec? i plan to buy the book for this motor soon.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

My manual goes back to 73, the last year of the 9.5, it calls for 40-45 ft lbs, I don't think the motor changed all that much since 64.

Rick.

Captain

bktheking: re the smoke. Good question and haven't seen an answer. My personal hunch is it's about the compression. 9.5's are a lower compression motor than a 9.9 and my guess is that is why 9.5's appear to burn more oil. The 9.5 (and this is just my experience) uses way more gas so therefore burns more oil all of the time it is running at any speed. Not sure why a gain of 0.4 HP makes such a difference but the 9.9 is faster, more efficient and 25lbs. heavier to boot. It just has to be the increased compression. Rick.

kmaysob

Seaman Apprentice

hey guys, checked the points, they were spot on. the coils,condensers and points all looked pretty new. adjusted the carb a little bit and stuck it back in the barrel with a fan blowing towards it. put the cover on and she runs like a beauty. now i just need to lube it up and its time to go to the lake! thanks for all the help.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

bktheking: re the smoke. Good question and haven't seen an answer. My personal hunch is it's about the compression. 9.5's are a lower compression motor than a 9.9 and my guess is that is why 9.5's appear to burn more oil. The 9.5 (and this is just my experience) uses way more gas so therefore burns more oil all of the time it is running at any speed. Not sure why a gain of 0.4 HP makes such a difference but the 9.9 is faster, more efficient and 25lbs. heavier to boot. It just has to be the increased compression. Rick.

Flywheel torque is 40-45 ft/lbs

The 9.5 and 9.9 are totally different motors, related in name only.

On ANY premix two stroke, 100% of the oil that you put in the gas goes through the engine. Some gets burned and the result of that is smoke. The remainder that doesn't get burned goes out the exhaust. Witness the scum on the barrel water. There is no other place for the oil to go, burn it or discharge it. The environmental folks these days have a hissy if they see oil on the water. OR, they have a hissy if they see smoke. There is a way to prevent both---don't start the motor.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Hell ya, when I pulled the 9.5 out of the barrel yesterday I could barely see the paint on the lower unit for all the oil. The 9.9, hardly any oil after running it for a whle. I guess it's just an efficiency difference between the older motors vs the newer 2 strokes. Would running synthetic oil in the 9.5 cut down the wasted oil?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Hell ya, when I pulled the 9.5 out of the barrel yesterday I could barely see the paint on the lower unit for all the oil. The 9.9, hardly any oil after running it for a whle. I guess it's just an efficiency difference between the older motors vs the newer 2 strokes. Would running synthetic oil in the 9.5 cut down the wasted oil?

I don't care if you put moose milk in it, it still goes through the engine along with the gas, so "wasted" is not a good word. However, your question is a good one. 100% synthetic TC-W3 oil creates much less smoke and less oil sheen on the lake, which also dissipates faster. And it is bio-degradeable. It is all I ever use any more. But any oil makes scum on the barrel water because it is so concetrated.

Yes, newer motors are more efficient. In fact the 9.5 and other motors of the era deliberately dumped excess raw gas from the puddle drains directly overboard. Some of them in huge amounts. The puddle drains were eliminated on newer motors.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Ok, thanks for answering, I am going to switch to 100% synthetic, although I am not a tree hugger per se, I do take notice on how much these 2 strokes puke oil, especially the older motors and I have 2 young kids that need to live here after i'm dead and gone!

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

Not to knock on anyone, but both my '67 9.5 and '73 6h.p. run pretty clean for a 2 stroke. Very little smoke running Valvoline or Tech twc-3 oil 87 octane gas at 50:1. I do keep the low speed adjusted tight and don't let it just sit idling for long periods.