Removing Barnicals

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Im winterizing my boat for the winter and noticed barnicals on one side of my boat over the water line. They where glued to the shiny white fiberglass of the hull. How do u remove the base part of those suckers without scratching the finish? Its like cement. Thanks

wizbang 13

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Removing Barnicals

Oh it's bettern' cement. It's stronger than epoxe. I have never been able to get it off without damage that did not at least need epoxe barrier coat.

mphy98

Lieutenant

Years ago when I lived in Tampa, I lived in an apartment building that was on the Hillsborough River. I had a slip with the apartment and being a fresh water person did not know about those things. After only two weeks in the water unprotected I found out the hard way. I had to scrape them off with an aluminum scraper. Just make sure you have leather gloves on because they are sharp little suckers.

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Years ago when I lived in Tampa, I lived in an apartment building that was on the Hillsborough River. I had a slip with the apartment and being a fresh water person did not know about those things. After only two weeks in the water unprotected I found out the hard way. I had to scrape them off with an aluminum scraper. Just make sure you have leather gloves on because they are sharp little suckers.

I used a scapper to remove the head and body but the base still stayed on. I dont want to scrape the base of them cause i know itll scratch the finish.

Chaps

Seaman

The On-Off will work, just keep reapplying it (keep the surface wet) and those little suckers will finally soften

AOD

Recruit

Be very careful using Mary-Kate On-Off. It works awesome but if it drips on metal, stripes or even your driveway it will do damage. One of my clients got it on their trailer fender and it actually ate the galvanization off. Then came the rust...

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Be very careful using Mary-Kate On-Off. It works awesome but if it drips on metal, stripes or even your driveway it will do damage. One of my clients got it on their trailer fender and it actually ate the galvanization off. Then came the rust...

Dam holly cow. :eek:

I will try again. I'll keep re-applying it until it softens up. And make sure not to spill any.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Try a product called C L R and a brass wire brush , Starbrite makes a barnical remover, works great but is quite corrosive

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer

They make an On-Off gel. My BIL had some barnacles on his.
What he did was use the gel and a paint roller. Roll the stuff on let it sit for a while then pressure washed and scraped. Rolled on more gel and repeat.
Good luck