94' 50hp Evinrude Bogging at high rpms

DuckSlayer84

Recruit
Not sure what the problem is. I have a 94' 50hp Evinrude that was just recently rebuilt. Got it back from the mechanic telling me everything was right, turns out that he lied, big surprise there. The problem is when I try to give it full throtle it will do fine, get up and go perfect, for about 5-15 seconds depending on whatever, and then it starts to lose power and boggs down. The only way i have found to keep it at high rpms is by pumping the key to choke it. I have to pump the key about every 2-5 seconds to keep it going or else it will just bogg down and i will come off plane. What is wierd is that when i run at mid rpm's she seems to do fine. It just seems to be that higher rpm range that gets it. The kicker is when it starts to bogg i can't just run at mid rpms i have to stop, cut the engine and wait a min or too. Only otehr info i have is that it use to have a VRO pump which the mechanic removed and put in a holly inline gas pump. I replaced all the fuel lines up to the engine and have 2 inline fuel filters. Any idea's?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 94' 50hp Evinrude Bogging at high rpms

fuel starvation, either clogged high speed jets, weak fuel pump, partially clogged fuel tank pickup tube filter.

DuckSlayer84

Recruit

Brand New 6-Gal back-up tank is being used to isolate problems. It has a brand new Holly inline pump. Would cleaning the jets be a do-it-yourselfer if you have a good mechanic ability. Never done it but how hard could it be? If so where might i find a guide. Thanks

lovemywife

Seaman Apprentice

Brand New 6-Gal back-up tank is being used to isolate problems. It has a brand new Holly inline pump. Would cleaning the jets be a do-it-yourselfer if you have a good mechanic ability. Never done it but how hard could it be? If so where might i find a guide. Thanks

Sounds like mine I replaced all the fuel lines removed and cleaned all three carbs. Put it all back togather, pumped the ball until it was firm. Then I noticed the filter by motor was not filled with fuel. Short verson it was the ball something inside was not letting fuel out. Runs great now. I would have never noticed if I had not removed all the fuel lines which emptied the filter.Hope this helps