What is your view on this?

SeaNymph Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just came off another boating related website and popped the question "Will
BRP ever bring the E-TEC down to 15 HP?" Ironically,only one person responded
and said,(...and I quote),.."It aint gunna happen,...you will be waiting,...forever,
probably until 2019 if at all!" Now,don't ask me why this person said 2019! So,..
I ask you guys,...what is your view on this? Would you agree with the dude that said on another site that it is not going to happen,...or not? I know that
Mercury stopped at 75 HP for the Optimax,...yet BRP takes the E-TEC all the way down to 25 HP,so why not down a little further to 15 HP? Could it be that
the new DFI technology does not see a market for DFI two strokes below 25 HP? I embrace the idea of cleaner DFI two stroke technology,but give me a
DFI motor I can possibly hope to afford and one I can swap my 'old technology' carbed two stroke for! If not,then I will go after one of those 25 HP EFI Mercury
four strokes as an alternative!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What is your view on this?

The problem is the weight and cost of the complex controls for DFI. You can see that the larger DFI engines weigh very close to the similar HP EFI 4 strokes.

I therefore think that a 9.9/15hp DFI engine will compare with an EFI 4 stroke 9.9/15 in weight, emissions and performance, but the 4 stroke may be less expensive.

I don't think the EPA are going to allow carbed 2 strokes of 15HP and under to survive. The makers will have to find a replacement technology.

Still in the wings are DFI 4 strokes with and without multi-stage forced induction and clean, high rpm Diesels.

Which of those technologies, or something else hiding in the skunk works, will show up in small outboards I don't know. But I am sure something will.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I would think that if it could be cost effective why not.Perhaps they could
Use some of the components from the 25/30.May have to figure out how to generate enough electric to operate components.Might have to enlarge the 9.9/15 cowl a little.The 25/30 are based on 32 cubes.What I think you might see is maybe they will drop the 40 down to the smaller block.Might have to stretch it a little but they get 60hp out of 52 cubes.Could end up with a 40 that weighs 177 lbs with electric start and trim and tilt.
Or 147 manual start tiller short shaft.

ChrisAG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I therefore think that a 9.9/15hp DFI engine will compare with an EFI 4 stroke 9.9/15 in weight, emissions and performance, but the 4 stroke may be less expensive.

If catalytic converters are eventually required for 4-strokes their cost advantage over a proposed small E-tec will be eliminated. But as has been said, the extra hardware for a DFI 2-stroke 9.9/15 will mean the engine will weigh at least 20 lbs more than the classic 1970's-'90's 2-stroke 9.9/15. but they will be quieter and get better fuel economy than the old engines.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I would bet that they do not sell enough of the smaller engines to make it cost effective to engineer and build it. If the market forecast says that they can effectively build them in a cost effective manner and sell enough to overcome the R&D, etc. then they will come. However, I doubt it will happen any time soon...

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would bet that they do not sell enough of the smaller engines to make it cost effective to engineer and build it. If the market forecast says that they can effectively build them in a cost effective manner and sell enough to overcome the R&D, etc. then they will come. However, I doubt it will happen any time soon...

I agree with you, BRP did let down the 4 strokes 9.9 and 15 hp Johnson (Big mistake in my neiborhood) which I think were built by Suzuki, and have showned little interest for small outboard motors.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Before they bought the 8, 9.9 and 15 4 strokes from Suzuki, OMC built their own in the mid-late 90s. They were good engines but too expensive to build and sell at a profit.

I had a '97 Johnny 9.9 4 stroke and liked it a lot except that it weighed just over 100lb, which is too much for a portable.