Crusaders won't start

rwerner43

Seaman
I have a Carver Riviera, twin 305/350 crusaders that has sat for a little less than 2 years. I know I started her a couple of times during that period, last time was about 6 months ago. I now am committed to gettting her back in shape. She was always a great boat, never any problems.

Gas was treated StaBil a year ago, and 50% new gas was added. I have extensive mechanical experience, but I am not a mechanic professionally. Gas smells fine, no varnish smell and is clear.

Working on starboard now.

She turns over, is getting spark at coil and at plugs. Plugs are clean, wires are fine. I try starting fluid and do not even get a cough. She is turning over slower than she used to, but not by much. (batteries are new and may be less powerful)

After about a half hour trying, checking and trying, she just gave me a little cough after she had sat for an hour.

Ideas welcome!!!! Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Crusaders won't start

Ayuh,.... Sounds like a Fuel Delivery issue,...
Any Gas in/at the Carb,..??

rwerner43

Seaman

Yes, fuel is coming through the carbs and looks like it is good quality. Even without fuel I should egt something from the starting fluid...

BTW I am in Key West.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....I guess I'd grab a toolbox,+ a few parts to do a basic diagnostic Tune Up....
You say you're getting Fuel,+ Fire....
That leaves Compression,+ Timing....as that's the 4 things Required to Run....

180shabah

Rear Admiral

...and ditch the starting fluid before you develop some REAL problems.