1979 16' Starcraft SuperSport

Huron Angler

Admiral
I went to take a look at this 1979 16' Starcraft SS with an 80hp Mercury this morning and was impressed enough to leave a deposit.

The seller had a guy that wanted to drive up from Ohio tomorrow to pay his asking price, so I needed to act fast in order to prevent yet another nice Starcraft from being hauled out of the state.:D

The 1970 80hp Mercury fired up and ran in forward and reverse.:D
It's got the Thunderbolt ignition system with electric and manual choke.

I'm pretty sure the boat doesn't take on too much water since the guy had it floating on the lake all summer tied to his dock.

Well, here are the pics...

DSCF4878.jpg

DSCF4877.jpg

DSCF4876.jpg

DSCF4875.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 1979 Starcraft Supersport

This is the listing for the boat from CL...

1979 Starcraft 16' Aluminum Boat: Easily worth $1500, and am willing to let it go for $1,100 for a great off-season buy!
The boat is in very good condition, and the pictures are from this summer.
Two Seats are in very good condition
Flooring is in good condition
Open hull in front allows for an additional seat (fishing)
Registration sticker good through 2012

Trailer:
E-Z Loader trailer
Lights work
Tires in good condition
Entire length when on trailer 21-22" depending on how you angle the motor.

Outboard Engine:
1970 - 80 H.P. Mercury
Direct 4 Thunderbolt Ignition
Just had carb's cleaned and floats adjusted, but is idling down under a load in the water. The motor does start and run.
I'm not a mechanic and don't have the time to figure it out, but maybe you do. The engine does start and run.
CMC Power Tilt & Trim works great ($500 dollar value alone)

Huron Angler

Admiral

Some more pics I took today...
DSCF4874.jpg

DSCF4871.jpg

DSCF4870.jpg

DSCF4869.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Here's a video of the 80hp Merc running on muffs:D

moonfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Buy the tilt$trim and get a free boat?

Huron Angler

Admiral

Buy the tilt$trim and get a free boat?

LOL, the way I look at is that I am paying $500 for the CMC TnT unit...and $500 for the 80hp Merc...so when anyone asks me how much I paid for the boat or trailer...the answer will be "nothing":D

(I talked the guy down by $100;))

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant
Re: 1979 16' Starcraft SuperSport

Sweet new boat Mike!

wow...I thought SWMBO said no more boats? lol

perfect for that secret fishin hole of yours! nice winter resto!
now you and Jeremy have somewhat similar new boats....maybye a resto race is in order???? :D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Sweet new boat Mike!

wow...I thought SWMBO said no more boats? lol

perfect for that secret fishin hole of yours! nice winter resto!
now you and Jeremy have somewhat similar new boats....maybye a resto race is in order???? :D

Thanks Vegas:)

My fishin hole is extremely shallow at the launch(no dock either) it may be tough to get this thing in there but I will try:D

Last edited:

bananaboater

Ensign

Mike, That color looks about right to this bananaboater. :)

Especially since it was free.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Mike May I be the first to welcome you to the Starcraft club ( you are no longer just an Honorary member :D ) . The boat looks great and I look forward to seeing the resto and seeing the boat itself next June :D.

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

HELLLLLYAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I TOLD you that you were gonna get that boat!! Who has 2 thumbs and is happy for ya?? THIS GUY!!!!

I cant wait to see MELLOW YELLOW get the Loon treatment..What a great looking SS...That MELLOW YELLOW boat has me a slight shade of green!!!!:D

And any chances of switching Ros for mine???? I can toss in some cash too!!
lol....

She
Whom
Must go
Boating
Or else!

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

WHOOOOOHOOOOO! Mikes in, no turning back now bud. Congrats on the good find and buy, it looks pretty good from here. Hurry and pic it up so you can make a late season test run before the lakes freeze up. :eek::D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks great Mike. Mine also runs and shifts like a champ in the driveway but gets scared in the water :) So we'll be figuring that one out together. Great boat and will most great with that Merc.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Thanks for the kind words fellas, it's nice to not have to monitor craigslist all day long:D

Many of you know that I've been wanting a larger, open-bow aluminum rig for a while and that I'm also partial to older sweet-looking Mercs. Two birds with one stone on this deal.:D

The weather has been weird lately so hopefully I will be able to get on the water with her before the big freeze.

Well...time to start clearing stuff out of my garage and moving it to the basement:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

This is the 1979 Starcraft brochure page for the SuperSport:D

The blue one on the right is the same as mine...the 16' SS was available in blue, grey...and of course yellow;)

Apparently it's "quick, roomy, and economical" LOL sounds good to me

3934407738_23ef4fd50f_o.jpg

motorpsykler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the kind words fellas, it's nice to not have to monitor craigslist all day long:D

That's what I thought after I bringing my SS home. But I still find myself on there almost everytime I turn the computer on!:rolleyes:

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

Nice boat !!! Looks like a new transom ! Did you do that or was that from a PO ? is it coated with anything ? it looks like it's PT'd.

Then engine sounds Ok, but the idle is very high (dangerous to be shifting gears with idle that high). Do you have a working tach on the boat ? What does it idle @ in the water ? a low idle can be timing, idle setting, and idle mixture setting. To rich is low to lean is high. ( but varies with timing and idle setting. and on those if the throttle cable position isn't right that will cause confusion. Those dist caps and rotors are expensive and getting very rare too..

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice boat !!! Looks like a new transom ! Did you do that or was that from a PO ? is it coated with anything ? it looks like it's PT'd.

Then engine sounds Ok, but the idle is very high (dangerous to be shifting gears with idle that high). Do you have a working tach on the boat ? What does it idle @ in the water ? a low idle can be timing, idle setting, and idle mixture setting. To rich is low to lean is high. ( but varies with timing and idle setting. and on those if the throttle cable position isn't right that will cause confusion. Those dist caps and rotors are expensive and getting very rare too..

Thanks Kainon- The transom work was probably done within the last 3-5 years by a previous owner. I'm not 100% sure if it's pressure treated or not so it's gonna get pulled out. The guy I'm buying it from bought it last spring and hasn't done much to it.

That transom will be a good project for this winter, as well as gluvit on all rivets and seams. Not sure what the deal is with the high idle, I have a reputable marine mechanic that I will have take a look at her if I can't get her tuned myself.

Attached is a pic of some bolster captain's seats that would be sweet on this boat. They cost more than I would want to spend though;)

Attachments

• yellowbolsterseat.jpg
    yellowbolsterseat.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 0

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hey Mike who got the soaker when you cranked it in gear LOL....
sounded like a chainsaw.....WHAAAAAA>>>>>>>>>>>>
cool video...I really need to track down my little powershot camera so we can take vids again

chat soon