new fiberglass floor?

Frankiea87

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys..currently I have carpet in my boat and I hate it..my idea is to redo the flooring with marine plywood of course and then paint? It with a fiberglass paint? Idea is to make it like it was a fiberglass floor from the factory..any ideas or forums about this idea? Thanks

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: new fiberglass floor?

No need for marine plywood and rather than paint what you do is cover the plywood with a layer of fiberglass cloth and resin, then you can paint it for cosmetic purposes. That's just my technique others may disagree.

Dave1251

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think what you calling fiberglass paint is gelcoat. This is the material on the outside of the boat. The fiberglass and resin are the layers below the gelcoat. The current boat floors are molded on a very smooth surface with the gelcoat being applied first, the layers below.

If you first build the floor up (plywood, Fiberglass and resin, and then gelcoat)you will end up with a rough surface. That is why boat manufacturers used carpet.

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class

i painted my floor that had been covered in a fiberglass cloth then epoxied ,then pained with sterling ,if i left it like that it wouldnt have looked very good .;
0125091347a.jpg

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class

when i asked my painter at the boat yard about it ,he said to use a puty and smooth the floors with it ,then epoxy seal them ,then paint .

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

DECK or SOLE, guys. Boats do not have floors.

bear_69cuda

Commander

In the link under my signature, you can see how I did this same thing to my previous boat.