Need new prop due to theft

mwhatch

Cadet
Someone decided they needed my prop more than I did, so now I need to get a new one. The problem is, I do not know what size my prop was since it was on the boat when I got it. I do know that it was a 3 blade stainless steel. I am pretty sure it was a Mercury brand.

My boat is a 1986 Champion Fish 'n Ski, fiberglass hull, with a 1986 Mercury V6 BlackMax.

This web site shows everything from and 11 to a 28 pitch for this motor. I think I have narrowed it down to 21-23 pitch, but how do I determine the diameter? Do I get the biggest one that will fit, or is their a minimum dimension I should maintain between the prop and the engine structure.

Thanks for you help.
mwhatch

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Need new prop due to theft

I think I have narrowed it down to 21-23 pitch, but how do I determine the diameter?

Ayuh,... Basically, Diameter is a function of blade Design,+ effects the basic performance very little...

With Merc.'s,... The large gearcase outboards,+ the I/Os run props of About 14"...
Much smaller are for mid-sized, or small gearcase motors...

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

If you know the speed of your boat at a given RPM we can do the math to get a pretty good guess at the pitch of your missing prop.

mwhatch

Cadet

With just myself on board, it would do 60 @ 5500 RPM.
Hope this helps.