Awesome sturgeon bite of California's Sacramento River

CoachPotato

Petty Officer 3rd Class
October 20-22

This week's three day sturgeon safari just off the ship channel near Decker Island, just south of Rio Vista, Ca on the Sacramento River was unusually productive!

I had five hooked over the three days, and three of them to the boat. I released two at opposite ends of the slot - one about 46" and maybe 25 pounds, another around 66" and 65+ pounds, I'd guess. I couldn't get a good measure of him in the water, so released him to pursue his pleasure upriver at the spawn. I kept one at 49" and 30 pounds. (That's my second kept sturgie of the year; I now have one tag left.)Every one of them took the same old lamprey eel I've been carving on for six months - actually longer than that, I think. I've frozen and thawed it several times, and it still works great! Figuring the time one eel lasts, at $40 per, they're still the cheapest sturgeon bait around!

Wow! I'm still buzzed. It was an exciting three days of brawling with the mighty sturgeon.

Photos and complete story at my homepage www.FishWisher.com

Dale

FishyFish

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Awesome sturgeon bite of California's Sacramento River

Great Story! I have also used eel and had good luck with frozen Squid.

Fish

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I love reading about your sturgeon fishing.Can't wait for the next one.Great website.

NO WHINERS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the great story about your trip...Thats one fish I have yet to target....Is the eel alive when you buy it?? Pretty pricey bait but I guess you get a lot of mileage out of it...

CoachPotato

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, guys. The eel is frozen and is Lamprey only. They last a long time as the little nippers can't steal it.

Just got back from another trip there, will start a new thread...

Dale

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have never fished for them, BUT ounce saw on tv, a guy with a puddle jumper inflatable boat and swim fins, catch a 150 pound fish. FUNNY!

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer

After reading your post on fishsniffer I had to give it a go myself. Wouldn't normally expect them in so early. 11-21-09 Hammered a 53" keeper on fresh salmon roe along with a limit of stripes. End of the incoming tide Montezuma slough. What a rush, one more and I'm out of tags, good thing January isn't too far away.

Uncivil

Seaman Apprentice

Hi from British Columbia. I am a dedicated Sturgeon fisher here on the Fraser River. Given that Sturgeon are classed as a species at risk here on the Fraser they are a catch and release species only. I was mildly surprised that there are still kill fisheries for these wonderful dinosaurs but I guess that your fish have not been hit as hard as ours have over the last 30 years. To be honest I don't know what I would do with that much meat. :eek: My best day on the Fraser was my very first day when my friend and I landed 21 total from 4 feet to 7 feet in length. Talk about a sore arm day. The largest I have had on was estimated at 8 feet as it came out of the water like a posieden missle. Too cool. Too bad it shook me off. Anyway my favourite bait is mouldy Salmon guts. The local fish seem to go nuts for the Stink bait especially rotten Chum slamon. Anyway good fishing.