1990 Johnson 150 engine/trim won't lower

jakethebrake

Recruit
I have a 1990 johnson 150 that will not go down when the trim switch is pressed. I tried all switches on the boat/throttle and the one on the motor itself and all are "dead" in the down position. The engine will raise will all switches. So as you can imagine I trailered home from the lake with the engine all the way up. Any idea what may be causing this?? Thanks in advance for any help!

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1990 Johnson 150 engine/trim won't lower

start with checking all the connections in the box that contains the relays,thats where all the tnt wires go,the green wires are the down circut while blue is up,if all onnections seem clean,you might try the relays,they are about an inch square and there are 2,you might be able to switch them with a reverse result,if so,I suggest changing both,though u likely only need 1,but they do fail after time,you can also bring positive power to the point where the green wire from the tnt motor terminates ,that should let you lower the motor,or you cn find the manual releae ,its a slotted screw inside the engine bracket,on port side,dont look to remove the screw,it will lock as you turn to stop point,it will only let engine down to the trim pistons,so it wont allow you to run at planing speed,its only an emergency fix,most likely u need a new relay

jakethebrake

Recruit

Thank you very much for your reply. It is a bad relay. Seems like every time I take this boat in, it costs me a 500 dollar bill. So, thanks for saving me a bunch of money!!! And thanks for explaining it in a way that allowed me to find and test the part. Have a good one!

jonesg

Admiral

Hey Jake do like we do and get the factory service manual, save a ton of money, most repair jobs are simple to do yourself.
www.outboardbooks.com

DocShock

Cadet

B.O.A.T. :
Break out another thousand!