How young have folks let their kid use an outboard on their own?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
I have a 5.5 year old and was wondering at what point others let their kids drive a small outboard (say 3hp) on a small tinny on their own on an inland calm waterway. He's not there yet but was wondering what the consensus was.

RICHARD5

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How young have folks let their kid use an outboard on their own?

I think 5 or 6 is too young for going solo. And I'm a guy who thinks it ok for a 4 yr old standing in the front seat over hill and dale driving the truck while his father throws hay bails to the cows. I was starting and driving small boats at age 6 but always closely supervised by a responsible adult.

The first time I went in a power boat without an adult was age 11. Later that year my 13 yr old brother and I were trying to see who could outdo one another.:eek:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it really depends on the child. how mature they are. how much they pay attention to instructions. how much experience driving, you have given them. i have a client who's son started at 8 y/o, now 11 y/o and a good captain. also know several 14-15 y/o that can handle a cruiser, and never bump the dock.

DavidW2009

Petty Officer 1st Class

My father gave the spare keys to his Lyman Islander to my brother and myself when we were nine. But this privilege came with responsibilities. We had to earn and pay for the slip fee every year. We also had to maintain and clean the boat per his instructions.

By age 13, we were on our own on a 26' Chris Craft, still paying for the slip and now doing mechanical repairs. (My brother and I would ride our bikes to the marina, drive the boat over to the gas dock, pull a credit card and have the dock hand fill the boat and we'd sign for it. At first the marina people would ask, "Where's your father?". We'd say, "At work." After gassing the boat, we'd take it out on Lake Erie for the day.)

My father trained us well. We also knew life would be worse than death if we damaged the boat or screwed up. He was in control, even when he wasn't there.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I think my daughters were about 12 when I turned them loose in a 13' whaler. Made them take the CG test first, and they were raised in boats (older boats that frequently had problems, in shallow uncharted tidal waters where you often got stuck withno one around to help you!). I also gave them lots of training, including "touch and go" to piers and pilings, retrieving overboard items (I throw stuff overboard randomly and make them go back and get it) and mechanical (secretly unhook the gas line and let them figure it out).
One thing about boys: they can be responsible 10 year olds, but they turn in to 14 year olds, and no matter how good they are, will become risk takers, or oblivious to risk. Add some distacting girls around and they lose all focus. It's just their brains. Don't believe me? think back....
My small boat had a pull start. I believe that until you are old (big) enough to pull it you shouldn't be driving--it's a physical test. Think of something similar for your key start boats. An infant can drive a boat that's running, but you need weight and strength to deal with docks, anchors, paddles, shove poles and break-downs.
They also have to be big enough to climb in the boat if they fall over.
Making your child care for the boat is essential. Discipline and responsibility are the keys to safe and skilled boating. There is value in scrubbing a deck. I started with that same whaler and a wooden sailboat I had to paint every year.

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Take a boater's safety course or refresh yourself on the legal aspects. That will help safeguard your liability. However, more important is the safety of your kids and of those subject to their actions. That's a personal decision you need to make.

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

My grandfather was a Navy Master Chief, so My brother and I were driving boats from a very young age. We started soloing around 8 and 10 with limits on how far we could go ( not very );) However, within a couple years we were running all over the upper Chesapeake bay in boats I shudder to think about now. Not that they were junk or unseaworthy....just small. A 10 ft plywood homemade job, and a 12 sears gamefisher. :eek: By the time I was 14 it was pretty much no holds barred:cool:

KC4YIN

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was 6 when I started pulling my parents and friends skiing. I had many hours with someone riding shotgun with me and that was way back in 1957 & 58. The boat was a 14' runabout with a 45 horse Mercury.

Billfo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think when you think he is mature enough to handle a gun, give him the keys to the boat !

superwooter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

bilfo,
right on.
i remember driving my granddad's boat from about 7 or 8 years old, but i was never in the boat without an adult until probably 14 or so. but i was one of those who never even got to drive a car until drivers ed. my brother and i had a go kart when i was 9 (i think) and i got my first shot gun about the same time.
so i agree with the post above about it being a case-by-case question. factors that i would keep in mind:
-how much time your kids have spent driving the boat with you by their side

-how responsible are they with other high responsibility tasks (gun handling)

-legal implications (here in mississippi, you have to be 12 and have taken the boater safety course)

-gut feeling (i tend to ignore this one and end up with negative consequences)

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 2 boys were 6 or 7, learning with an adult in a 11' Zodiac powered with a 2 hp. After awhile they could go alone, but had to stay within 150 feet of the houseboat. A small rubber boat is ideal for this. What a great way to learn about rules, safety, maintainance, storage, the environment, etc. They had a ball, and often mention the good times we had around boats. Now they're both over 30, and I wouldn't trust 'em with my canoe. ;-)
Larry

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

Up here you need to have a boaters license or you can get fined, and you must also be at least 12 I believe.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

My stepson was at the tiller with adult supervision by the time he was about 6. No solos, though, until he had his boater safety certificate at age 10. That was with a 5hp on the 12-foot tinny. He's 15 now and took the 15-footer with the 75 out a few times this summer - with us watching from shore. He handles the boat well, but is a bit heavy handed on the throttle ;-)

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

If I recall, I was 8y/o when our 14' starcraft 6hp and 7.5hp became 'mine'. I had to launch it (by hand), mount the engine (I usually asked for help since those old 6hp mercs were heavy.. I'd carry it between my legs) and was responsible for anything having to do with that boat, including keeping the motor running.

I think prior to 8 y/o I wouldn't have been able to manually manuever the boat and motor and likely wasn't strong enough to get the boat out of the weeds if I got stuck in them by myself. I guess a good rule of thumb would be, if you can row the boat, you can use the engines (assuming you taught your kid about how engines and boats work).

jkust

Rear Admiral

My Boys are 4 and 8. It wouldn't even cross my mind to let them do it alone. My 8 year old is very mature but he's 8 and my 4 year old is still just a little kid. I think all the kids his age are more mature these days. I only just let him shoot a bb gun this year under my supervision. I was about 14 when I started going it alone and 15 when I bought my own boat and tiller outboard. My friends and I all had our own boats to get around on the lake just as we had our own bikes.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I started running my granddads john boat (5hp) at about 8 or 9. When I was about 10-11, I ran dads 18' bowrider with a 150 Rude. At about 12, I was taking it from the dock with friends...

ziggy

Admiral

i'm with everyone else i guess. i started young too. granddads fishing/row boat. i had to bail it out (larsen wood fishing boat) to be able to go row it around the bay. don't know how old i was, 7ish + or -. by 16 i was into small speed boats too, progressing up from small o/b's....
my boy was 8 i think when he learned to operate a pwc. 10 i think to operate by himself...

this isn't my story, but its a great video that sure puts boating in perspective for many of us i'd guess.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeE92WVe_so&feature=related
enjoy... it'll bring tears to your eyes...

lakelover

Rear Admiral

With my kids I kind of went with the NY boating laws at the time: 10 years old & have completed the Boating Safety Course & got their certificate. Also my confidence in their ability & skill to handle the boat physically, and their maturity and attitude about it. I also limited their range the first couple of years, first to not going out of sight, then the next year a little further, but not too far. After that I crossed my fingers and hoped my training had been good. It's hard letting kids go at any age.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

We would go camping for two weeks every year since I was 2yrs old, My dad started letting me take the boat out when I was 8yrs old with which ever friend I brought that year. Long lake wisc. wasn't a huge lake but good size for me at that time, I learned alot being able to take the boat out myself when my father thought I was ready, a few scary moments but loved every minute of it. It was a Sears V bottom with a 10hp, but it got us around and tons of swimming, going across the lake and fishing, I was never back at the camp site until dark:)

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If I remember correctly my Dad said"when you can buy it you can drive it" but he said that with anything that had a motor :D