Gearcase tools on Johnson 30 HP

DawsonRH

Cadet
I have something wrong inside the lower unit of my 1993 Johnson 30 hp,
model VJ30ELETA and serial G-03216055. I am working on opening it up to determine what parts are damaged.

My main questions right now are: Is there a way around buying the $75 dollar universal puller kit, and other such special tools that the shop manual says I need to do this, or are there some ways to work around it? Currently I have made it as far as possible without the pullers. I would really appreciate any help provided. Sending to a professional is not possible for me at this time, thanks.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Gearcase tools on Johnson 30 HP

It is easy to make a hooked slide hammer to pull out the prop shaft bearing carrier. If the drive shaft, or pinion bearing are bad, you will need the special tools'. You will want the plastic sleeve to put the balls, and spring back for the clutch dog. When you pull the clutch dog off the prop shaft, the balls will go flying, so watch for those. Those balls, and spring, if you have never done one are miserable to put back, no matter what the tool.

DawsonRH

Cadet

So then the bearing housing is not threaded in, it just needs to be knocked out? I can handle that. Ill take a pic later today and post it to show where I am at so far, and see if that brings any more ideas.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

It's held with retaining screws', remove those.

DawsonRH

Cadet

I have an update. I will start with the minimal amount of good news and proceed from there.

I only had to spend about seven dollars on a puller, I was able to rig one out of a simple gear puller and two three inch bolts. I found a decent pair of snap ring pliers for twenty dollars, and a pair of long handled needle nose pliers for seven. That totals to 34 plus the repair manual at 42 for a grand total of $76.

Now for the bad news.
The forward gear, pinion gear, forward bearing, and pinion thrust washers are all damaged. The forward gear and pinion are destroyed, lower unit was full of chunks once I pulled the gears and could see in there. Now I know what you guys mean when you say chunks. Also, this may be the worst part, there are a couple scars that I can see on the actual gear case housing. So having said all that, my rough estimate for the gears and seals etc. is $550, however, this is if you guys think it is safe to fix it with some scars on the housing. If not, then it looks like I need to find another lower unit. Thoughts? Btw: I included the cost of a new clutch dog in the price, it has some minor scaring on the outside of it but it looks repairable.