1972 Johnson 125 Power Tilt creeping problem

1972 Johnson 125. The power tilt creeps down fairly rapidly (e.g., <2 min. to fully lower) after being raised. I'm not sure what position the release valve is in because there are no visible markings and it's just a slotted screw. How can I figure out the position of the release valve? (Unfortunately I do not have an OEM manual and the Clymer manual is completely useless on the subject.)

For example, can I simply tighten it (turn it clockwise) to confirm it is in the AUTOMATIC position, or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks,
Scott

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1972 Johnson 125 Power Tilt creeping problem

I am having the same problem with my 72 100hp. I have the OEM manual, but unfortunately it has absolutely nothing on TnT. I have a CD manual that has some reference to the TnT. The CD manual is very difficult to navigate through. I will try to find the answer tonight and get back to you.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

You can't compare a tilt-n-trim, to a power tilt. This is a quess on my part, but I would turn the relief screw clockwise to a stop. It may be a spindle valve in which case it has to be strait up, or across. You would most likely will find the power tilt in the accessory catalog, and it's related part's

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

Is your TnT a Prestolite or Calco system?

Ok.... What is the difference between power tilt and TnT. I though you were referring to the TnT for your motor.:confused:

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

The 1972 engines' did not have TNT, that came out in 1973. Power tilt was meant just to lift the engine up such as when beaching, or when putting the boat on the trailer. It does not have near the power for trimming the engine under full power.

This is power tilt only, not trim and tilt. As mentioned, trim and tilt came out a year later.

My version is only used to fully raise and lower the motor. But it should be able to hold the motor up for an extended period. In my case it's clear that something is wrong but there are no leaks, and the bleeding process involves using the release valve, which is the item I am uncertain about.

So I'm trying to figure out how to know the position of the release valve. I suspect it was marked at one time, but nothing is visible now.

Hopefully someone will know how the release valve works.

Thanks,
Scott

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

As I told you! counter clockwise till it stop's at a shoulder, or the screw driver slot is straight up & down, or crosswise. If it's neither you have a internal leak, or a faulty relief valve.