Stern Drivw fluid

wildemike

Cadet
Maunual say's look for discolored fluid which would indicate a leak, what do they mean by discolored? Are they talking about a milky chocolate brown or Black in color. I just pulled mine and it was blackish in color no water is this ok>

Thanks folks

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Stern Drivw fluid

Is this a new to you boat? It sounds like it has been awhile since it has been changed. Milky is bad - black? Don't know, other than maybe overheated or just too long between changes. I say change it and keep an eye on it.

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Maunual say's look for discolored fluid which would indicate a leak, what do they mean by discolored? Are they talking about a milky chocolate brown or Black in color. I just pulled mine and it was blackish in color no water is this ok>

Thanks folks

Not that it really matters..but what type of drive do you have? I'm curious if this is a Merc Drive, as to what the fluid looks like in the reservoir.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you are looking for a leak, yes it will be "milky" the other color is questionable. What color of oil was put in it and how long ago. As others said, if you don't know how long it has been in there, replace it. The small cost of oil is nothing close to the cost of not changing it.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Drain it into a clean clear pan/container. Let it sit a while. If it has water in it, it will soon become evident.
Also, your drain plugs should have magenets on the tips, you want to check for shavings.

IES99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Black is probably good: but needs changed. Creamy is bad: water in there.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I agree,... Black is Dirty/ Used up.... Milky is Water....