Recommend an inflatable boat to a newb?

roobix

Recruit
Completely new.. but Hello Everyone!

I'm new to boating, but not to fishing.. and would like to found a boat that can seat 2 or 4 people for ocean fishing..

I've been looking at the Sea Eagle SR 14, but unfortunately reviews for it are slim to none.. so I'm reaching out or recommendations and suggestions.

I'm worried about getting a boat that's not made for the Ocean waves and/or getting a motor that won't get me back to safety when the weather turns rough..

Any suggestions?

Sorry if my questions are full of gaps ... really new to this..

One other question:

Is there a site that tells you what the different boat classes mean?

I'm trying to figure out if a class III white water boat can withstand the ocean, but can't find any info.. I found a site talking about Ocean class.. but I don't really see "Ocean Class" listed much anywhere..

Thanks!

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Recommend an inflatable boat to a newb?

just buy a real boat instead of RIB

Drowned Rat

Captain

Don't listen to NY, inflatables are great boats and LOTS of fun. I need a price range before I can suggest anything. The choices are too many.

roobix

Recruit

Don't listen to NY, inflatables are great boats and LOTS of fun. I need a price range before I can suggest anything. The choices are too many.

Sorry, NY. I don't have room for a real boat or the type of car to tow one.

I'm willing to spend 2500 - 3000 for a boat and hopefully a motor?

Not really sure how fast a motor i need for 2 or 4 people.. but I'd like to have one that would get me fast enough away from approaching unfriendly weather.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Well, that's economy class for sure. For the conditions and load you describe, I would look for a 16' SIB and a 40hp motor. New, you're looking at nearly twice your budget though. If you want to go smaller, I'd say a 14' and 30hp is the minimum depending on what you're using the boat for.

kenkolen

Recruit

I recently purchased a 12 ft Achilles with a 15 hp evinrude, it was used, I purchased it through craigslist. I carry it in my travel trailer and I really love it. This past weekend we went to the Everglades and did some fishing in Florida Bay. I did some research and I would rather have a used Hypalon boat than a new PVC.
Now obviously it is not a dry ride in 2-3 ft seas but you could go in water as deep as 10 inches.
Look for a good used boat, Avon and Achilles are the Hypalon that I am familiar with and have some fun.

Neal
Miami Fl

kenkolen

Recruit

By the way check out boats to go, they have seat frames that you can use to set up seats instead of the boards and you can even use one to make a remote steering set up.

Neal

roobix

Recruit

Thank you for everyone's advice!

riverandocean

Seaman Apprentice

Listen to Drowned Rat! He knows what he is talking about.

I first bought a 14 foot Bombard Typhoon (PVC construction) and put a 20 hp Honda on it. Great set up but once we started getting out into ocean waves and swell, I really wished I had more power.

This year I bought a Zodiac Grand Raid 14 feet, (hypalon material) and put a 30 hp Honda on it.

Huge difference! The boat is much more robust than an introductory level PVC boat. Yes, much more money too! YGWYPF

Would have gone for the 50hp motor, but the weight for packing up and carrying was just that much more to put me off.

If you buy a light duty boat (less expensive) you will get light duty reliability.

This summer is 6 - 8 foot breaking waves I was very glad I had the heavy duty boat!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Huge difference! The boat is much more robust than an introductory level PVC boat. Yes, much more money too! YGWYPF

Can't compare a Zodiac Grand Raid heavy duty 14" to any other same size pvc sib, higher price will give more reliability and light duty less expensive sib will give light duty reliability. A matter on what you intend to do with the sib and how much money you plan to invest. It's like comparing a Hummer to any standrad SUV for extreme driving use :D

Happy Boating