I'm disappointed with this forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

bayou-basser

Recruit
I'm really disappointed with this forum, since I posted a problem I was having with a motor and got no responses. I'm led to believe there is'nt any real troubleshooters here, I solved the problem I was having without any help from this forum. I guess it was too hard for the :confused:"mechanics":confused: here. Thanks for nothing

Knightgang

Lieutenant
Re: I'm disappointed with this forum

Sometimes not all posts are seen by the people with the knowledge to offer advice. I am on here quite often, but I did not see your post until I saw this one and then looked for it. I suggest if you do not get a response in a day or two, post a reply yourself asking for help or just a simple "BUMP" to get it back up on the list so that it can be seen again...

If you are that disappointed, find another forum. Otherwise, accept that this is a free board, you are not charged for advice and the advice offered by others is completely voluntary... If you got charged a fee to post your issue, then you have grounds to gripe for no response. Aside from that, please learn to "Work and Play well with others..."

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi,

Now that you know how to fix 3 cyl Mercs you should hang around and help others with their problems.
That is how a free forum works.

Gregk

Seaman

Just bump up the thread if you're not getting any replies. ;)

snake eater

Seaman Apprentice

This is my second day on the forum and I love it, my question was answered fast and with great info, so be patient give these guys a try!

j_martin

Admiral

Your original post:

I have a 1986 50hp merc 3 cylinders and 2 carbs ser # A925129. Its not running on #3 cylinder. 150 psi compression on all 3 cylinders, good fire on all cylinders. Carbs have been rebuilt, new gasket kits installed and new inlet needles. Fuel pump has been rebuilt, new diaphrams and gaskets and new spark plugs.Also have replaced the stator because of rotten wires. #3 cylinder seems to be flooding. Any ideas?

With all that done, it should have been running like a top. I couldn't have made a judgement from that other than you did something wrong, and the way it was worded, you probably wouldn't take kindly to a remark like that.

1. Looks like I was right.
2. You could let us know what you missed, have a laugh, and lighten up.

In other words, this community doesn't exist solely to jump on your first post and solve your problem for you, though it usually does that anyway. It's a sharing community, where we share information, experience, tricks, and sometimes mistakes and self depreciating jabs, all for the fun of it and the benefit of the community.

hope it helps
John

guitchess

Cadet

I have to say I love this forum. After some issues popped up on my Mariner 90, I found this site. Without even having to post a question I have discovered several possible causes AND the testing proceedures to eliminate each potential fail point. Now, I will probably be able to fix my motor without the expensive trip to the shop, only the cost of the parts(which are cheaper here, also).

Thanks iboat.com forum members!!!

I'm led to believe there is'nt any real troubleshooters here, I solved the problem I was having without any help from this forum. I guess it was too hard for the :confused:"mechanics":confused: here. Thanks for nothing

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Dam dude, stop with the attitude. A little patience in life goes a long ways.

This is about the best place I've found for getting good FREE help and information about boats and repairing them.

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

Talk about defensive!! Maybe we could learn from criticism.

I've had mixed results on iboats but do appreciate the forum. A few people have been very helpful. And not everyone knows a lot about some of the questions. Most of us are here to learn to fix our boats ourselves.

The kind of replies that bug me most are from some of the "experts" with tens of thousands of insubstantial posts. That seems especially true on the Johnson Evinrude forum where I have spent time because I made the mistake of buying a Johnson outboard. I guess its easy to run up a post count with dozens of one sentence posts every day. Even if they know the answer, they typically tell people to go buy a manual. Don't they realize that not everyone has easy access to a manual? Some of us have to wait weeks for a manual to arrive by mail. In the meantime, the boat is down and help is needed. (I have manuals for my motors, and don't need to be told to buy them. Besides, if manuals had complete troubleshooting info, why would we need a forum?) Or they criticize someone's bad grammar or lack of punctuation. This is a boat forum, not a writing class. Maybe they really don't know much about boat motors.;)

Well, ya' get what ya' pay for.

As for me, I've gotten way more than my money's worth out of the iboats forums. (And I'm glad that someone told me I ought to get a shop manual for my engine, it was well worth it. Until the shop manual was mentioned here I never realized what I was missing.)

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I'm really disappointed with this forum, since I posted a problem I was having with a motor and got no responses. I'm led to believe there is'nt any real troubleshooters here, I solved the problem I was having without any help from this forum. I guess it was too hard for the :confused:"mechanics":confused: here. Thanks for nothing

You have 3 posts, 1 of which is your complaining and the other I presume to be your original question.

That leaves 1 post in which you actually participated in the forum. So, if we were all as selfish as you and only want OUR questions answered, yet not bother answering other questions, you got the exact # of responses you earned.

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer

grow a pair,,,,

Attachments

• baby.jpg
    baby.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 0

sschefer

Rear Admiral

So what was the problem. Bad check valve on the upper main causing oil pooling in # 3? Bleeder check valves under the intakes shot? Float on #3 not set right, a bad new needle and seat on # 3. Bad accelerator pump leaking fuel into # 3 ?????? Inquiring minds want to know.

Please respond or be as guilty as those you charge.

jeff_smith_0423

Chief Petty Officer

See ya. None of us get paid a dime and most of us are sharing information we learned from others while fixing our own issues. The forum is what you make of it. You've made nothing from nothing so you're not out a bit.

BeaufortTJustice

Petty Officer 1st Class

As a new member who is also new to boating, I would gladly pay $5 or $10 a month for this wealth of information and knowledge. It's like having a whole team looking over your shoulder while you work on your boat. But since it's free, I'll just have to pay it back by sharing what I learn with others, especially others with less experience than me. Seeing that most marine mechanics in my area charge $75 - $100 / hr for their time, this forum is a bargain. I'm sorry that you feel disappointed.

Moody Blue

Captain

I have to say that I'm very disappointed as well.

Disappointed in the attitude of the OP. This is a cooperative FREE forum in which everyone does their best to help out others.

It takes TIME to get a response to a question, sometimes quick and sometimes not, but most every inquiry gets answered at some point. Members are not sitting at the computers waiting for "your" question to be posted, and most here are not "mechanics" but rather DIY hobbyists (no slight intended to the true mechanics on here) with an interest in learning how to take care of their own toys. We all learn and we all give back, that's what makes this work.

Coming across as critical, judgmental and impatient will get you nowhere. You owe the folks here an apology but I don't expect you see it that way.

doehunter

Cadet

I'm new here so I can't comment on the advice but my issue is that I don't have much money and I scrimp everywhere I can. I don't understand why the manuals are so expensive. That's why I still don't have one. You would think they would be available on the net for free.( maybe at least exploded views and parts lists)
JIm

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

I'm new here so I can't comment on the advice but my issue is that I don't have much money and I scrimp everywhere I can. I don't understand why the manuals are so expensive. That's why I still don't have one. You would think they would be available on the net for free.( maybe at least exploded views and parts lists)
JIm

Exploded views and parts lists are available. You just have to look for them. As for the manuals there is such a thing as copy write laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.