How to adjust idle?

115evinrude

Cadet
I no this is a simple thing to do but a am having a problem doing it. My boat does not have a tach so i have no idea what im running. im going by the sound of the motor and guessing

Today i adjusted it to what i thought it should be but when i shift into gear it clunks. But when it is in gear it ildes low to what i think it should be.

Another thing is when i put it back in nuetral that idle revs up. it does not what to stay at low idle.

How can i correct this problem? or can I?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to adjust idle?

The idle screw on these engines has nothing to do with the carbs. The idle screw adjusts the idle ignition timing. There is a rearward-facing screw on the spark advance lever which should rest against the block at idle. Adjusting the screw will increase or decrease the idle timing and ultimately the rpm. You need to know what rpm the engine is running to adjust it. The timing should be set to 650 rpm when the boat is in gear-floating normal depth in the water. You must insure that the sync and link is correct, so that the carb butterflys are closed when at idle. Because the lower unit has no clutch, the gears will normally clunk when meshed in forward or reverse. Best to change gears by thrusting the shift lever vigorously when shifting into forward or reverse. If the idle is too high, it can lead to long term damage to the clutch dog and the gear faces when shifting.

115evinrude

Cadet
Re: How to adjust idle?

ok. Good to know. I check the sync and link they are ok. Like i said i followed the Seloc book and everything checked out. I didnt want to mess with the spark advance lever because the name of it.

Ill try this and see what happens.

Thank you for your help.