Rochester 2GC Carb Parts

myoldboat2

Petty Officer 1st Class
1974 Mercruiser 140 s/n 388xxxx

Old man winter is coming and I winterized my boat before I solved the issue with the choke plate closing tightly when fully warm (discussed in other threads). Thought I'd try to pick up a few parts over the off season and try them in the spring before removing the choke plate entirely.

Where can I get these for my Rochester 2GC carb?

(no part #) --GASKET, CHOKE HOUSING (no longer available)
1397-2648 --STAT COVER AND COIL ASSEMBLY (no longer available)

Can't find them online. I called AutoZone, CarQuest, NAPA and a few others and they had no idea what a 2GC was. I thought the 2GC was used in old Trans Ams and Grand Prix's plus others, but who knows. Seems like the guys in these car parts places don't know squat any more, they hadn't even heard of it.

I don't want to buy a whole carb kit to get one 29 cent gasket. I suppose I can just use some gasket maker like Permatex Ultra Black or something. But I'd like to replace the coil and see if that's causing the headaches.

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Rochester 2GC Carb Parts

Have the same carb in my boat. I bought a carb kit at a local auto parts store, NAPA I think for somewhere around $15. Bit the bullet and buy the kit. If you need one gasket, it will turn out that you need others. I know you think you only need one 29 cent gasket, but lets face it, if you can get any boat part for $15, you're doing good.

If you need a float, you'll need to get one online. I looked every where and no parts stores could get one.

myoldboat2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the reply. What I really want is the thermostatic choke coil and cover, p/n 1397-2648.

I needed a float about a month ago and found the exact metal float as new old stock from a nearby state for about 7 bucks plus 4 bucks shipping. It's in and fixed the fuel dumping problem. Great deal.

I'd like to find the one gasket. I bought a carb kit a few years ago, then gave up on the idea of rebuilding the carb with my fat fingers. The carb shop did a great job, but they wanted to use their own gaskets--I can't blame them, they stand behind their work. So I don't even remember where my carb kit ended up, I sure can't find the damn thing!

By the way, how did you cross reference the carb at NAPA? Or did you buy their Sierra carb kit... If you have the carb kit number from NAPA that would be helpful. The guys I talked to seemed lost.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

find a small independant auto repair shop,not a service station,most will have a few old carbs kicking around,or find someone who races stock car, lots of lower classes run 2bbl carbs and all the choke parts are usally removed

mark mcj

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 2GC that has a part number of 17059054 stamped on it.
Its off a 1980 2.5L.
The NAPA carb kit # is 2-5494A. The years listed in the instructions go back to 1955.
I can't help with the choke parts you need, other them to repeat what dan t. said, find a parts carb for donors.:(

Mark

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Have you tried your local Chevrolet/Buick/GMC dealer. Any parts guy worth his paycheck should be able to walk up to the parts bin without looking at the parts catalog. But then if the dude is less than 30 years old all bets are off. 2GC is a Rochester two barrel carburetor and there has to be a gazillion of them on the road yet today. Otherwise, head to your local salvage yard and look for older GM cars with base engine that almost always had a 2GC carb.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a 2GC that has a part number of 17059054 stamped on it.
Its off a 1980 2.5L.
The NAPA carb kit # is 2-5494A. The years listed in the instructions go back to 1955.
I can't help with the choke parts you need, other them to repeat what dan t. said, find a parts carb for donors.:(

Mark

......the 2GC was EXTREMELY popular through the 80's with the GM crowd!!
I know it came in at least two throttle bore sizes, 1 3/8" and 1-5/8". The NAPA kit for the 1-5/8" is 18-7060.
Locate you local Mom and Pop NAPA and ask to see their Marine catalog...a wealth of information and parts leads.

FWIW...Ed in 'ol Virginny