MY 2001 Yamaha HPDI won't start!!!!!

Nappy

Recruit
I can't figure out what is wrong with my motor. It will sputter but won't catch and stay fired. I know i have spark becuase it will fire off of starting fluid. I am afraid that it is my fuel pump and I know those are very expensive. Is there any other alternatives to try before i do that?

Re: MY 2001 Yamaha HPDI won't start!!!!!

you need to check your fuel presure at the fule rail. it could be a blown fuse some people have rigged them with a in line fuse. if no fuse then check to see if there is power to the pump. you can hook 12v the the pump and see if it turn on.I would start there.

Nappy

Recruit

How would i put 12v to the pump to try it out. I checked the fuses and all of them are still good. I have fuel going to the vapor seperator but none coming out up to the gear casing on top of the motor. I have bad feeling that it is the fuel pump, from everything that I have read. The filter coming out of the seperator was clogged but i bypassed it just to see if it would fire and it still won't.

there should be 2 wires comming out of the vapor can with a black/ gray plug lift tab and seperate conect groud one side and power up other side and lisen for the pump to run. thses pump can run with rev polerty it won't hert the pump.

Nappy

Recruit

Thanks man i appreciate it, I am going to try that tomorrow, hopefully it works and there is something else wrong.

Nappy

Recruit

I figured out that it is my fuel pump inside the vst. From what I have heard it is like $700. Does anybody know if that tank can be bypassed with a regular fuel pump. I know i would have to premix my gas, but I was wondering if it is even possible and if it is how hard would it be?

blackbox

Seaman

you can not bypass your vap. seperator. you can try to remove and clean and soak the electric fuel pump, but it is best to replace it and fuel filters. do not for get to replace the filter between the v.s.t and belt driven fuel pump.