Timing a 5.7 Mercuriser

realoldsalt

Cadet
I'am working on my boat which has a 1996 mercuriser 5.7 210 hp engine serial #OF879866. I think it has a thunderbolt V ignition ,but without the knock sensor. In as much it doesn't have the purple/white wires like one with a knock sensor, is there still a wire that needs to be grounded like the one with the knock sensor. I tried to time it today and it wouldn't run if I set it at 10 dregrees BTDC . I had to get the new decal because the old one was missing on the balancer,could I've put it on wrong. This engine is the one with a timing mark on engine itself, and the degree label is on the balancer.From the manual I think I put it on the right way, I need all the help I can get , this has been a real pain in the neck.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Timing a 5.7 Mercuriser

Ayuh,.... All the T-Bolt Vs need to be jumpered,...

Up in the Aduts Only section at the top of this forum are the factory Manuals,...
Help yourself....

John_S

Rear Admiral

The purple/white wire is probably running along your starboard valve cover. It would have a female plug end with a rubber plug in it. On my '96 1/2, the timing marks are on the balancer, but it was not a decal. Marks were imprinted in balancer. How did you line the decal up?

realoldsalt

Cadet

I believe your right I've seen the wire your talking about laying next to the valve cover. The balancer is marked wiith a line acrossed it which is TDC and the label has a 0 and a line to match up with it.For some reason the manuals all show the timing marks of a left hand engine this one is a right hand, which means I put the decal on backwards. Thanks so much for the imformation this morning I'll time it and I should be finished.

Bondo

Staff member

For some reason the manuals all show the timing marks of a left hand engine this one is a right hand,

Ayuh,... Tell Us more,....
A Righthanded motor is extremely Unlikely....

ChrisCraftJohnny

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree Bond-O.
Always remember Salty. The rotation direction is viewed from the back (outdrive) side of the engine. So from the rear, (outdrive side) the engine turns LEFT or COUNTER CLOCKWISE.

From the front, the engine turns RIGHT or CLOCKWISE.

This is a STANDARD engine.

The reverse direction of these notes would indicate a REVERSE engine.

Most manuals refer to each side of the engine as if you were standing behind it. The Port/Starboard designation helps as well.

Johnny

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer

i just timed mine, and the jumper wire is towards the dizzy by the valve cover, look for a dead end wire with a rubber plug, shove a wire into it and ground it. i also have a 96 2bbl 210hp, and mine had one line on the balancer and one mark on the timming cover, and since it is supposed to be 8deg BTDC, we dailed back on the knob on the timming light and timmed it to where the lines match up, cleared out the carb and it ran perfect, shut it down pulled the jumper and cranked, and ran perfect

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You do realize, if you go up to the adults only sticky at the top of this forum, and download and read the OEM service manual, it will tell you exactly how to do it.
Or, you can try all the "This worked for me" methods.
The manual also has pictures of which way the engine turns.
Amazing book.

Kind of amazing really. Pros use the manuals all the time. DIYers seem to think they don't need them.