What is this in my car? I hit a very large object on the freeway!

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer
Last night I and a few other drivers hit a very large object on the freeway.

I was going about 65 mph and it tore open the bottom of my front bumper.

Thankfully, nothing else happened to the car and I made it home.

However, this round thing broke loose from its mount and is attached to a small tube. Can anyone tell me what it is?

It is round and when I unplugged the tube a hiss of air came out. I assume it has something to do with air pressure.

I have a 96 Chevy Lumina.

Attachments

• MVC-890F.JPG
    MVC-890F.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 0

justchange

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What is this in my car? I hit a very large object on the freeway!

I'm not sure of the name, but it has to do with emissions. You could take it to or call your chevy dealer and inquire further. You could perhaps helps the attatchment with wire ties or wire [duct tape]:D

Rickairmedic

Commander

Thats part of the evaporative system for the fuel/vacuum system on the car I would try to remount it and hook the hose back up to it personally . I will add if the mount broke you should be able to get another one as well as a bumber from a local pull a part type junkyard.

Rick

Knightgang

Lieutenant

That is the vacuum container. Propably not a hiss of air comming out, but rather air going in. I know I have a 97 Olds Cutlass and when the vacuum line that runs to that was broken, I coul dnot get airflow through my A/C vents, only came through defrost. Just make sure it is not damaged, resecure it and you shoudl be ok...

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

okay. thanks

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Government mandated surveillance device. Tells a main computer where you go, how fast you drive, how many times you honk your horn, if youre wearing a seatbelt, and if you listen to conservative radio broadcasts. :D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Government mandated surveillance device. Tells a main computer where you go, how fast you drive, how many times you honk your horn, if youre wearing a seatbelt, and if you listen to conservative radio broadcasts. :D

You sure it's from the government :confused: I would have thought with Darren being a fan of the caped crusader ........ that device may have been installed by the Joker or the Penguin :eek: :D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Or may the Joker or the Penguin planted a .........:eek:

bomb.jpg

Darren glad you were not hurt;)

If you torn open a vac line on the emmision system look for the check engine light to come on shortly...Oh yea that object you ran over was a state road repairman pushing a wheelborrow.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

I believe that is the vacum assist canister for storing vacum created from the manifold pressure to assist in the a/c,heater vents and cruise control operations. If it were emissions you would be recieving a check engine light almost immediately. You gotta love GM engineers and thier placement of such objects.

gonefishie

Commander

Could it be a raccoon you hit? I hit one at 80mph once, broke the fog light and put a hole the size of my fist on the front bumper/ground spoiler.

v1_0

Chief Petty Officer

Ahhh... you have only peeled back one layer of the onion. This is a device that the Aliens have duped our Government to mandate! In addition to surveillance, it secretly uses car exhaust to convert our atmosphere into something that they can breath..

TilliamWe

Banned

You gotta love GM engineers and thier placement of such objects.

Oh yeah, it's a $20 part, that doesn't do much. How about it was a Chrysler Cirrus and that's where the $90 battery is located? Or how about a Honda, with no screen over the lower air intake, so that rocks bust holes in the A/C condenser tubes?? I'll take that GM design any day over those.

(P.S. How is Mount Union doing this year?)

If the vacuum canister is not broken, wire/tape/glue it in place and keep driving it!

gonefishie

Commander

Ahhh... you have only peeled back one layer of the onion. This is a device that the Aliens have duped our Government to mandate! In addition to surveillance, it secretly uses car exhaust to convert our atmosphere into something that they can breath..

Holy crapola! I knew it all along. It's not green house gas. It is alien farts, I mean respiratory by-products.

Splat

Lieutenant

Isn't that called On-Star now?

Bill

dr_bowtie

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe that is the vacum assist canister for storing vacum created from the manifold pressure to assist in the a/c,heater vents and cruise control operations. If it were emissions you would be recieving a check engine light almost immediately. You gotta love GM engineers and thier placement of such objects.

this is the correct answer...vacuum ball for the AC/Heater system...without it hooked up the heater doors will not work as they should...or will do weird things like move on their own...

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Vacuum Ball...........WHy didn't I think of that... Man, that was complicated...

BobsGlasstream

Commander

that object you ran over was a state road repairman pushing a wheelborrow.
Could not have been a road repairman, They don't actually fix roads in Mich. They just keep moving those orange cones around. :p

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

Could not have been a road repairman, They don't actually fix roads in Mich. They just keep moving those orange cones around. :p

Yes but only on heavily-travelled holiday weekends.... :mad::confused:

And yes, that is indeed a vacuum reserve canister. If it hissed it's ok, re-hookup the hose and fix the bumper fascia.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I believe that my Chevy Astro has one also - its part of the vacuum system.

???