technical stuff

fish 4 life

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1978 Evinrude 140 HP on a 1985 Ranger 335-V Comanche that I am having trouble getting out of the hole. I had the carbs rebuilt and the mechanic says the engine runs like a top. I am able to get out of the hole but only if me and my brother sit at the front of the boat while my father drives. Once the boat does get on plane, the boat does about 45 mph and goes great. I was using a 13 X 19 3 blade prop I also tried a 13 X 17 4 blade prop and the same thing was happening. I was told I should check the engine for Link & Sync the carbs, Making sure the carbs are opening horizontal, and pickup timing is correct. Check timer base, that it is not sticking part way, has to go all the way to the rubber stop, check Max advance and set if needed. I am not sure what all this means. Can anyone explain this more so a non-mechanic like myself can understand.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: technical stuff

Tail heavy boat, check it for excessive weight, that vintage boat is known for having several hundred pounds of unwanted, unknown weight. saturated foam. there can be as much as 700 lbs of wet foam.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Your mechanic/technician gave you some good ideas on things to check. Hard to explain any real detail on these short notes. Best to get a factory manual and compare the text with pictures-it's easier that way.

fish 4 life

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had the boat shop drill some holes and found their was no water in the foam. Do you think the 16.83 foot boat is too small for the old and heavy 1978 motor.

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

what is your max RPM? we need to know that, you may be way over propped.

fish 4 life

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The max RPMs I could get was at about 5400. I believe the max RPM that a 1978 140HP Evinrude is rated for about 5800.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

How much motor is in the water ??? and how is the trim ???

fish 4 life

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I don't know exactly how much motor is in the water, but it seems like alot. The trim seems fine.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I don't know exactly how much motor is in the water, but it seems like alot. The trim seems fine.

Power trim ???
How about a photo of the motor and boat showing how much is below the keel

fish 4 life

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes it has power trim. I will try to get some pictures as soon as possible.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Cav plate should be dry @ WOT if engine height is right. If it's buried, come up one hole at a time until it's right. Once you get get that right, get RPM's up to 5800 @ WOT by reducing prop pitch. You tried a 17" four blade ... I would have tried a three blade or better a 15" pitch prop. But get the X dimension right first. This really sounds like a setup problem, not a motor problem. Do only one thing at a time, evaluate, and go on.

fish 4 life

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Attached is a picture of motor height.

Attachments

• motor height.jpg
    motor height.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 0

fish 4 life

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ranger boats said the same thing about using a 14 X 17 inch 3 blade aluminum prop. I might see if I can try to trade in my four blade for the 17 inch 3 blade aluminum prop. Also, the prop shop did say that they think my motor is to low and I should try to raise it a little.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Can't tell much from the picture ... if the cav plate is buried in water at WOT, the motor needs to come up. All you can tell on dry land is whether the start point is somewhat reasonable, nothing more.

robert graham

Admiral

Sounds like your boat/motor/rig could use one of those hydro/foil wing type gizmos that you bolt right on to your cavitation plate to lift you up onto plane quicker. Boater's World and Cabela's sells many different models and prices, mostly a plastic wing. It would probably help you a lot. Good Luck!

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Sounds like your boat/motor/rig could use one of those hydro/foil wing type gizmos that you bolt right on to your cavitation plate to lift you up onto plane quicker. Boater's World and Cabela's sells many different models and prices, mostly a plastic wing. It would probably help you a lot. Good Luck!

Those devices won't solve a rigging and/or a propping issue ... they do add drag and lower top speed, though.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The height you have the engine currently mounted should not be the primary cause of poor holeshot. What are the compression numbers for each cylinder?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

I disagree. If motor is too deep, lots of drag. If propped with pitch too high, very sluggish hole shot. Both together, a dog of a boat, even if motor is running right.

fish 4 life

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The height you have the engine currently mounted should not be the primary cause of poor holeshot. What are the compression numbers for each cylinder?

I had the compression checked and all four cylinders are at 120 psi. Like I said the mechanic says the engine runs like a top. I can do 45+ mph when I can get the boat on plane.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

How far in will it trim ???? (photo of that would help) if possible