Mercury Jet Skis

Mercuryjetski

Recruit
Hello,

I have purchased 2 1998 Mercury Jet Skis from the original owner in 2006.
Hopefully someone in this forum may be an enthusiast. I am looking for answers in reference to purchasing parts and perhaps a place that I may be able to find an owners manual for the skis. They are built tough and they seem to have been built to be put into production. But, they were not put in to production. I am not certain of the actual number of jet skis that Mercury built in 1998 when they built the prototypes. The reason for this inquiry is that I have been trying to sell the skis for 4 months and the same question asked is that whether or not it would be easy or hard to replace parts. I have been told by mechanics that Mercury cut a 2 stroke 6 cylinder motor to make it a 2 stroke 3 cylinder motor to put in the skis. PLEASE HELP!:confused:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Mercury Jet Skis

thats a new one! are these the ones you bought?

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cach...ski&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Do you know what size engine? If it is 90/95/120 I'm guessing they probably figured out how to get the mercury sportjet engine to lay down and put that in. (the 90/95 was a 3 cylinder, 120 was 4) if that is the case, those are actually force motors. Fairly reliable, but a couple issues that came up from time to time. (Plastic gear driven oil pump, and stators failing often) You MIGHT be able to use sportjet parts then. Any pictures of the motor or pump?

*edit, found the pics of the motor on that link above, hard to tell but I don't think that is a sportjet derived engine. Spark plugs look too close together, but without measuring thats just a guess. The SJ's didn't have spark plug ground terminals either, I see that one does, as well as the exhaust. (SJ's were integrated into the jet pump.) That almost looks like a rotax... That electronics box looks IDENTICAL to the one in my '98 seadoo.

ProbeGT

Seaman

100% sure this is not a sportjet unit. It simply wouldn't fit in this ski.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

100% sure this is not a sportjet unit. It simply wouldn't fit in this ski.

not vertically... wouldn't take too much to lay the engine down with an additional L drive. Wouldn't be anywhere close to efficient, but its a prototype, not supposed to be.

ProbeGT

Seaman

sportjet engine are really big, unless they are huge skis, like the new ones with 200+ HP, a sportjet block won't fit in.