Mysterious Wire

pmergler

Seaman
During my winterization I saw this wire dangling from my distributor cap. Is this okay? What is this wire for?

Attachments

• wire.JPG
    wire.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 0

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mysterious Wire

If the other end is attached to the base of the dist. ,it`s a system ground.

pmergler

Seaman

Okay great...so dumb question, but is it okay that this end is unattached to anything? What is it trying to ground, mysterious energy archs that might jump off of the distributor cap?

Bondo

Staff member

What is it trying to ground, mysterious energy archs that might jump off of the distributor cap?

Ayuh,.... There has to be continuity thru all the components of the driveline,...
Sometimes, gaskets, orings,+ whatnots get in the way of proper continuity...
All the little grounding wires,+ bonding straps just help insure the continuity isn't lost anywhere, anytime....
There should be a screw, or a hole for 1 within reach of the wire,... Look around...

bassboattech

Seaman Apprentice

this is what im talking about by mis information....gawd, all boat wiring systems have extra wires, some grounds, some power, some timing or est or base timing connectors.....leave it alone if you dont know what it is if it didnt go anywhere your fine

Fun Times

Staff member

During my winterization I saw this wire dangling from my distributor cap. Is this okay? What is this wire for?
Question, Do I see a purple wire with a black plug laying under the distributor cap area??? If so it looks like that should be the power wire for the choke on the carburetor, And if so then that black wire might be the ground for the choke.

And if not then there is a small chance it could be A ground wire that would go to the outside Bottom of the distributor housing hooking up to the longer of the 2 screws seen in #7 in this link. http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...=50&bdesc=DISTRIBUTOR+AND+IGNITION+COMPONENTS. I say this Because there was some mercruiser engines that had a ground wire going to the distributor sensor screw. But there really was not to many engines like that, That I can remember seeing Anyway's, Just something to keep in mind is all.;):)

Or like others have said it might not go to anything at all, Sometimes the wire harness manufacturer just seems to put a extra ground wire in the wire harness for no reason and mercruiser will end up not using it.

??? Does the wire eye connector look like there was a screw hooked to it at one time.???

mikeavis2

Recruit

My 1992 4.3 has had that "extra" wire since it was new. I figure it was supposed to be for an electric choke if it had that option. Mike

scutly

Petty Officer 1st Class

Question, Do I see a purple wire with a black plug laying under the distributor cap area??? If so it looks like that should be the power wire for the choke on the carburetor, And if so then that black wire might be the ground for the choke.

i also have a mysterious black wire with eyelet AND a purple wire with black plug dangling around the distributor area. im assuming now that it is for the electric choke option. that's been bugging the crap outa me and im so glad i know what there for now! :)