Gasoline Fumes Detector

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer
Do any of you have a gasoline fume detector installed in your bilge. I am thinking of purchasing a MB-1-R gas fume detector (sold at Iboats and other locations) after reading about a boat fire on iboats from a i/o boat that had fumes in the bilge.
I know use the blower and I do and I check my bilge before start up for leaks, fumes. I caught a leaky fuel pump one day before I started the engine.
But it only takes one time to forget or what about if you are underway and develop a fuel leak.
these fume detectors sound like a great idea, but wanted to check to see if anyone has one and what you think of it.
I.e. have you tested it with a small container of gas next to the sensor.
Any false readings if it going off and no fuel leaks.
Thanks,

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Gasoline Fumes Detector

Our boat has a sensor beside of each engine. It seems to work ok but Ive never tested it to see if they actually work. Never really use the system but I was thinking about holding some gas beside of one of the sensors yesterday, kinda odd this thread popped up today. Makes me want to try it even more now. :)

Ohh, and I cant remember the exact number off the system but the brand is Fire-Boy.

elkhunter338

Yes fireboy is the brand I am looking at. I would be interested if you can test the sensor with some gas fumes. If these detectors work I think for around $150 this should be on everyones I/O boat.

elkhunter338

I finally bought a gasoline fumes detector and it works. You hold the sensor over some gas fumes and the light turns red and the buzzer sounds. I mounted mine just above the starter at floor height in a dry area. I wired it so it comes on when I turn my accessor switch on which I leave on all the time I am aboard the boat. Now my starting proceedure will be turn on the accessory switch (ie fume detector on), smell bilge and look for leaks of any sort, use blower, start motor, recheck for engine leaks before heading out in the morning.
Now if a fuel leak developes during the day or while the engine is running I think I will get a warning much sooner. Just another safety item to have, but not to a substitute for the smell test, look test, and using your bilge blowers.