problem with turn off the motor

tn5786

Recruit
I have a 93 Johnson 48hp with electric choke.
The engine is not turning off, when the key is at off position, so everytime I want to turn it off, I have to leave the key "ON", and pull the landyard.
I just replaced the new switch, and still...
Anyone can help me out.
Please.

Thanks
Thuan N.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: problem with turn off the motor

the blk/yelstripe wire is the kill circut,the safty lanyard should also connect to it,what must not be happening is ,your not getting ground to the blk/yel wire at the key switch,perhaps there is an issue with the wire,or connections aren't right on the switch,when the key goes to off,it makes the ground and kill connect

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Or the yellow/blk stripe wire has a break between ignition switch and the power pack at the motor end.

Darbyz71

Recruit

Hey just a quick info install. Be extremely careful not to get any voltage on the black / yellow strip kill wire. The slightest voltage through to the power PAC will surely kill it dead. I agree that ur key is the issue because ur lanyard kill is working within the same circuit thus ruling the wiring out and placing blame on your key switch. Double check that your black and yellow are attached to the raised M on your key switch and if u have a DVM check the raised M using the ohoms for continuity to groung when the key is turned off. If there isn't any then u have a bad key switch. Hope my install helps God Bless

tn5786

Recruit

the blk/yelstripe wire is the kill circut,the safty lanyard should also connect to it,what must not be happening is ,your not getting ground to the blk/yel wire at the key switch,perhaps there is an issue with the wire,or connections aren't right on the switch,when the key goes to off,it makes the ground and kill connect

Hi Jim,
I checked all wires, specially the yel/blk & blk(ground M-M). I measured both to ground, and both of them contact to gound when the switch is "OFF" position. Is there anywhere else should I look into?Just like you mentioned blk/yel connected to powerpack? What should I check at the powerpack?
Would you give some comments?

Sincerely
Thuan N.