Question on Trailer Tires - Load Range

arifleman

Cadet
Hi all. I just bought a 12' Smokercraft on a Caulkins trailer. It's a '98 boat and '99 trailer, neither of which have ever been in the water due to previous owner's health issues.

I will be replacing the tires on it due to their age as I will be trailering about 150 miles at Interstate speeds. The existing are 4.80-12 load range B, max inflation of 60 psi. It's my first boat trailer, so of course those tires look puny. My question: is there any benefit to using load range C in this size tire? Load range C calls for 90 psi which would seem awfully bouncy for this light a load.

The boat and trailer combined only weigh 400 pounds. My 9.8 outboard, fuel tank, electric trolling motor and battery, and associated gear could add around 225 pounds additional weight - still a pretty light rig.

Would load range B be the softer, more appropriate tire? If there is benefit to Load range C, would a lower psi be a problem? Nobody wants to be along side the interstate changing a tire, which is why I ask. I appreciate the input.

Attachments

• boat 005.jpg
    boat 005.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 0

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Question on Trailer Tires - Load Range

Put on new ones and have fun boating. That rig doesn't weigh much at all....

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If load range "B" falls within the total load of boat, motor, trailer and gear, then there is no need to go load range "C".

NHGuy

Captain

Yup, just get B's. Also do a bearing service and check your trailer lights. Both are easy and are important for safety.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

All agreed. No since spending money for overkill if there is no added benefit.

Also agree that a good check of bearings and lights are just as important...

arifleman

Cadet

Thanks all! Yup, bearings and lights checked out just fine. Not surprising as that trailer has never been in water.

Jeep Man

Commander

Your load is pretty light, but if you want more meat on the tire, see if you can fit a 5.30x12