REPLACING WINCH STRAP

psvaj

Cadet
I am trying to replace a winch strap (currently some type of nylon rope) with one of those thin flat straps. There is no way to separate the disc (the thing that the rope winds around) in order to tie on the new style strap which has a loop on the end of it. Do I have to drill a hole through both sides of the disc and mount another bolt through it? If this is the case, what size bolt should I be using? The boat I am towing weighs approx. 2000 lbs. Any advice is appreciated.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: REPLACING WINCH STRAP

You should be able to put a bolt thru an existing hole in the winch. Use a grade 8 bolt, and a nylon locking nut. If you are at all concerned about the integrity of the setup or the winch, you can get a new winch with a strap for about $30. What brand of winch do you have?

psvaj

Cadet

I drilled a 3/8 dia hole through both plates and stuck a 5/16 grade 8 bolt through. After about 20 minutes of towing I pulled over to inspect the strap and noticed the bolt had actually bent. Is the grade 8 bolt too brittle for this application? I'm not sure what brand the winch is but the trailer is a 1981-83 Calkins. I'll try a 1/2" bolt next but I think Specks has a pretty good idea.

sofasurfer

Cadet

My bolt bent too. I was concerned about it at first but since the bolt didn't break whats there to worry about? All its got to do is hold the strap on.

iRich

Petty Officer 1st Class

and don't forget the safety chain!!<br /><br />Rich

jlcjtc

Seaman

I too am replacing my cable with the flat strap, where can you get the winches with the straps already on them