Idea for deck installation on 14' skiff tiller

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Okay, so a good pic of my boat is in my Signature below. I have also put a layout of my idea attached to this email.

what I hope to do is create a deck that incorporates the original bench seat, but also has two hinged doors on either side that can be opened for legroom on the left side). There is a double-stud in the middle to accommodate a pedestal seat for use in fishing and for the pedal on the trolling motor.

If you have any suggestions or words of caution for me, please let me know. I hate to build this then find out the idea of a deck was ridiculous and a waste of money.

Mainly, I want a deck for fishing, and also because the floor in front of the middle bench is rendered useless by the floor tapering up (you can't step there b/c it's so steep).

Also, it would be very helpful if there was a seat and pedestal that could be stowed under the deck while underway. If anyone has any information on a hideaway pedestal seat, please let me know.

thanks!!

Attachments

• deck plan.JPG
    deck plan.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 0

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: Idea for deck installation on 14' skiff tiller

Nice looking boat. The only caution about adding a deck is raising the center of gravity and making it unstable when someone is walking around on the deck. I would do a mockup and put it in the water and test for stability. Your hull/boat looks pretty stable, but can't see the bow and rake to the keel. It's a nice addition in boats built to be stable.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... If the deck is now so steep it can't be walked on, it sounds Tippy....
Raising the deck will only make it Worse...

John_S

Rear Admiral

You can test for stability by standing on the existing bench and bow platforms.

Large hatches need to be strong and well supported.

I have seen pedestal seat posts that retract into the floor, but you need the clearance and they were some what expensive.

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ayuh,... If the deck is now so steep it can't be walked on, it sounds Tippy....
Raising the deck will only make it Worse...

If you look at the picture, the floor is curved in the front (not the deck); it's pretty useless to use as a place to step.

The sides are 20" and the width is 52"; I can't see how it couldn't be stable but next time I'm out I'll stand on the middle bench and bow deck and see what happens. If I feel it's stable I'll install a deck.

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

UPDATE

So I took the boat out yesterday and walked around on it. I will try to qualitatively explain my results (I should have had a camera, but wife wasn't interested in going and it was dark out anyway, hehehe).

So standing on the middle bench seat is not a problem at all. I can even stand on the seat with my feet together on the edge of the boat without a significant risk of losing my balance.

Standing on bow deck (the one i want to extend to the middle bench seat) is still stable; however, because I was the only thing in the boat with any real weight (and at 250#, the weight is definitely real), the stern of the boat was riding high in the water.

I was actually able to use the foot pedal of the trolling motor while standing on the bow deck but after a while the thrust and the movement caused a bit of the dizziness. I plan on putting a pedestal seat in the front for use with the foot pedal anyway.

I did not try this experiment with a second person in my boat, and I don't know if that would have much of a significance or not. Like I said, the hull is 4.5' wide and almost 2' deep!

So, does this boat sound like a good candidate for a deck? I think I'm going to add one on . . . I can always take it off if it scares the hell out of me.

:eek::eek: